Real Life MMD: Should I help debt agency find colleague?

Options

Comments

• joannie
    joannie Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Well. sorry folks, I think she should give them any info she has. Her friend has had and spent the money. It is us as honest citizens that end up paying higher costs because of those who do not pay back what they owe.
  • shazpea
    shazpea Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    no. don't be that person. imagine the backlash that would have at work. it's their job to get in touch with her, it's her problem to get in touch with them. You just need to make sure they update their database and remove your extension.
  • joehoover
    Options
    You don't have to do anything and makes me wonder why you are even spending time thinking about this matter, this isn't your problem, the only person you are helping is a lazy collections agency who can't be bothered to do their job properly which they are being paid handsomely for by the original creditor.

I deal with them as part of my work, when DHL pass my account to them after a week unpaid, and then the agency immediately charge us £40 for not paying without even bothering to question why something is unpaid, when it is always an invoice I never received or they have charged us the wrong rates.

I was also harrassed by a collection agency for Thames Water after I moved home even though I paid the year in advance, Thames Water themselves confirmed my account was paid up to date when I left, it took 6 months to get the agency to stop chasing me and blackening my credit file for what was all an administrative error yet no one could bother sorting it out properly - how inept do you have to be at your job to not do those simple checks before thundering in with calls and fines.

My point is they are terribly lazy and are not interested in investigating any matter properly, my company/myself is innocent yet is getting fined, reputation tarnished and so much hassle to resolve all because they don't look at the facts of a case. This may be the case with the person they are looking for, you have no place getting involved at all.

Should they call again you should get angry with them for bothering you and ask for their details so your company can bill the collection agency for wasting their company time.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    No ! Don't have anything to do with these rats in human form. Of course potential creditors want their money back but your colleague's affairs are none of your business. Just hang up if these people call again.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No way should you tell them.it isn't your place to do so;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I definatley don't think it's a good idea - but perhapse speak to your colleague again and ask them to send a letter requesting that they only communicate with him/her by post - I don't really think that you deserve to be harassed by phone either!
  • pinkpanther22
    Options
    Don't get invovled. Debt collectors are parasitic, lazy and utterly inept. I once had the huge satisfaction of taking one to court once after he was foolish enough to slander me on his own recorded phone line. It took the judge about 30 seconds to chuck him out and enforce an order on them as I could prove the agency were in the wrong.

Tell them to do their own dirty work.
  • Lucky1983
    Lucky1983 Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    joannie wrote: »
    Well. sorry folks, I think she should give them any info she has. Her friend has had and spent the money. It is us as honest citizens that end up paying higher costs because of those who do not pay back what they owe.

I'm confused - how do you know that she has spent the money?! You cannot say that as you cannot know. The colleague shouldn't get involved as they have no knowledge of the situation. Don't get involved.
    2024 wins - £100 book voucher
  • JoannaS_3
    Options
    If it were me I would pass her new extension number onto the debt collectors and tell them to keep calling her instead of you!!!!

I haven't ever been in a situation where I've been chased by a debt collector and hopefully I won't be.....they only chase when given reason to.....pay your debts...no debt collectors!! Simple!!

Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
  • JoannaS_3
    Options
    Lucky1983 wrote: »
    I'm confused - how do you know that she has spent the money?! You cannot say that as you cannot know. The colleague shouldn't get involved as they have no knowledge of the situation. Don't get involved.

Why would they be chasing her if she didn't spend the money?
    Debt owed £4000, Saved (to pay back) £300, only £3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other! :happylove
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure