Money Moral Dilemma: Should Ashley get more £££?

Comments

• This was an episode of 'Due South' in the 90's, remember when Ray Vecchio bought the scratchcard and won and wouldn't give any to his sister?
  • joegw
    joegw Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I won, I won, I won!
    It's family, I would go halfs and then pay back the £30!
    :) Thanks to all who post comps! :)
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If I were Ashley, Jessica would never get another penny of my money. If she is willing to potentially throw away the hard-earned cash loaned to her on the highly unlikely chance of winning on a lottery scratch card then she needs some debt counseling. The fact that she won with the card is only going to encourage her to continue with the destructive gambling habit.
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • Pellyman
    Pellyman Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2010 at 10:40AM
    A good job this is fictitious or I could get really upset with Ashley. If she gets any post in support, the world's going mad.

However, Jessica is a bit unbelievable too. If she was 'broke' she should not be using part of a loan (big or small) to gamble - the odds against winning, even the lowest prize, are immense. Her offer of £100 is very sisterly and pitched at about the right level. "Snatch her hand off" Ashley, before you upset her and only get your £30 back.
  • cbrooks
    cbrooks Posts: 7 Forumite
    This post reminds me of the current banking situation, they used the interest on our money to gamble. They then lost all our money and begged for tax money to bail them out. Now that they have made a bit of a profit (using our cash) they give themselves a big bonus, where is my share.
  • Mystyfied
    Mystyfied Posts: 12 Forumite
    If this had been me skint and the same circumstances I would have given half without a doubt. I had nothing and without the loan would have still had nothing, however I would never have bought a scratch card with money lent me for shopping. I suspect the government keep a close eye on money spent on the national lottery and scratchcards etc and think if we can afford to do that then we can afford an income tax hike!! ;)
  • cheerful
    cheerful Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ashley lends her £30 shopping money. Gambling is not shopping, therefore Jessica has been dishonest and borrowed the money under false pretences. Regardless of anything else, Jessica has abused her sister's generosity and ruined her own credibility.
  • NiggyG
    NiggyG Posts: 27 Forumite
    If she is willing to potentially throw away the hard-earned cash loaned to her on the highly unlikely chance of winning on a lottery scratch card then she needs some debt counseling.

Not necessarily, the scenario doesn't give the full context. It could be that Jessica just has a cash flow issue but is financially sound. If this isn't the case then gambling is silly. Giving £100 is a nice gesture, Ashley is being greedy by wanting more.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    I would never lend her money again. She lied about why she wanted the money.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i would just take t he 100 quid and my original 30 pound back and let her have the rest
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure