PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House buying + ground rent above £250

Options
Hi, I am writing this post cause I am having some issues as a first time buyer trying to get my first property and I would like your advice.

First of all, I am in the position where everything is ready for exchange except last minute, bank has said it needs to re-evaluate the flat again. This seems to happen because the ground rent is above £250 (outside London) and it falls within the Housing Act 1988 and will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) .

This is very frustrating cause after few months preparing all documentation and getting so excited about it, now it seems the sell will fall though because the bank does not like this.

- Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Is there any hope to get the flat?
- Is there any bank or do you think the bank will take the risk? Apparently the risk is that if I don't pay the ground rent it could be repossessed by the landlord by law.

This is very unfair for first time buyers and it seems we cannot do much.

Thanks

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I can't answer your questions, sorry. But that is a very high ground rent. How much is it exactly? And what increases will there be in future years?
  • themaz87
    Options
    Its 350 yearly in the area of Manchester. This is a common ground rent for the area.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You refer to AST, are you buying it as an investment to let out?

What is the length of lease remaining and the ground rent review clause?
  • themaz87
    Options
    Hi Tom,

- buying to live in there.

- Lease has 250 years remaining and it will be reviewed in 25 years. I have been told its not doubled but it may get increased by inflation.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it a newbuild?

Are you trying to use Nationwide?

Is the ground rent in excess of 0.1% of the purchase price?

Nationwide (& The Mortgage Works) criteria;-
    Maximum starting ground rent on all new build properties with a leasehold tenure is limited to 0.1% of the property value.

Ground rent must always be reasonable during the lease term. For example, ground rent escalation should be linked to Retail Price Index or similar, and unreasonable multipliers of ground rent will not be permitted, e.g. doubling every 5, 10 or 15 years.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • themaz87
    Options
    Hi kingstreet, building is 10years old.

Ground rent is 0.16% of the purchase price.

I was trying to use Halifax and the evaluator needs to report what is going to happen. Aparently the property can get devaluated because of this.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I thought an Assured Shorthold Tenancy was only relevant to people renting / landlord.
    And similarily Housing Act 1988 is to do with landlords/tenants.

Something doesn't sound right here if you are buying the leasehold, unless there are sections of these laws that cover leasehold to freehold relations.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    themaz87 wrote: »
    it falls within the Housing Act 1988 and will be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)
    Where are you getting this bit from?
  • unoriginal86
    unoriginal86 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 8:50PM
    Options
    I've joined this site to say that I have a similar issue to the OP. In my case, the mortgage company will not lend against the property unless the terms of the lease are changed. I have only been notified of this issue a week before the proposed the exchange of contracts date.

The issue as I understand it is that:

"The definition of !!!8220;assured tenancies!!!8221; in the Housing Act does not exclude long leases. When the rent is reviewed, in certain circumstances, and where the rent limit under the Housing Act is met, it may result in the long lease qualifying as an !!!8220;assured tenancy!!!8221; under the Housing Act." Quoted from the site cms-lawnow.com. A long lease will qualify as ASTs once the ground rent exceeds £250 (or £1,000 in London) a year.

"The problem with your Lease being classed as an AST is that the Freeholder/Landlord can potentially bring the Lease to an end by proving one or more of the grounds for possession set out in Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988. One of these grounds relates to non-payment of Ground Rent. In other words, if the Freeholder/Landlord can prove that you have not paid your Ground Rent, then the Freeholder/Landlord can apply to the Court for a Possession Order, which the Court MUST grant providing the arrears are proven." Quoted from the site newsontheblock.com. It is much easier for a freeholder/landlord to repossess the property if the lease is classed as an AST.

If I was taken to court for the non-payment of ground rent and a judge ordered that the lease be forfeited from me under these terms then the mortgage company would no longer have any security held against the property. The Council of Mortgage lenders have published guidance recognising this issue as a potential risk to lenders security. I am unable to post links.

In my case, the mortgage company want a deed of variation against the lease to protect themselves against the risk of this happening. If the freeholder/landlord refuses to do this then my mortgage company will not lend against the property and I will not be able to proceed with the purchase.

I hope that this provides enough information to inform others about this. My solicitor did tell me that she had only seen this becoming an issue in the past few months.
  • themaz87
    themaz87 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I have a new update with the purchase...

Landlord refused to do the deed of variation so an alternative is required.. otherwise lender would not agree with he mortgage.

At the moment, solicitors are looking for the possibility of having a new indemnity insurance to cover the Housing Act defective statutory provisions which affect this lease. If this is the case, purchase can be completed.

This situation is very frustrating as it seems investors are always in advantage leaving normal people unable to purchase property. I hope law changes and gets sorted cause this is abusive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback