Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.

Options

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Hello - OK -

1. Letter just arrived from Barclaycard - saying although it is not the card you originally applied for we are pleased to offer you the Platinum Barclaycard. So....that's the Travel Card out of the window with them.

So positive in the post was his Halifax Clarity Credit Card. :j

2. Next step I guess - forget Barclaycard - apply for Saga card?

Note: Virgin - seems like nearest is 30 miles away. So prefer to do all online if possible.

Before my finger hits the keyboard with another application we would appreciate your thoughts - thank you.

SAGA is good, as it provides you with a VISA card as a foil to the Clarity's Mastercard. But it's only really needed as a back up, as the Clarity actually covers all that you need.

Do you really want to apply for another credit card?

https://loot.io/ is a prepaid card with two free ATM withdrawals per month. You may be able to administer the account via the Web, instead of a phone.
    Just keep a small amount on-board for emergencies.
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    Saga is fine for purchases, just not for cash withdrawals.
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    Thank you - I think the idea between applying for two cards was in case one had its system go down or lost one.

So maybe SAGA application tomorrow - in case any thoughts come from all the help i get on here which we are so grateful for.

(Note sure why B/Card turned him down maybe they thought he would be 'foot loose and fancy free' once in another country.)
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Saga is fine for purchases, just not for cash withdrawals.

Already covered earlier...
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Already covered earlier...

Looked at SAGA seems like you have to become a member first so will look into that tomorrow.
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    We phoned Barclaycard and asked why refusal of Platinum Travel Card.

They have agreed to let my husband have the Travel Card now at the same interest rate as Barclaycard Platinum - which should not be an issue because we will pay statement immediately.

(It could be lack of 20K income- I think it was - when I looked at requirements in detail for Travel Card. Other than that no other issues.)

Thank you again - all going well husband can carry one and keep the other safely at his brother's home as a 'just in case' of problems.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Looked at SAGA seems like you have to become a member first so will look into that tomorrow.

Never saw that clause before.
    Either way, since you now have the Travel Platinum, problem solved.

Travel Platinum for cash, Clarity for spends and deposits.
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »

Travel Platinum for cash, Clarity for spends and deposits.

Thank you again. Out of interest your recommendation, above in quote, this may sound naive but can you explain why the above could be the best method of use?

(I think what with everything going my mind is in a bit of a twirl. With my husband having now received the sad news his youngest sister has passed away so unexpectedly, who also lives in Canada, it is going to be a bitter sweet journey for him.)
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Thank you again. Out of interest your recommendation, above in quote, this may sound naive but can you explain why the above could be the best method of use?

(I think what with everything going my mind is in a bit of a twirl. With my husband having now received the sad news his youngest sister has passed away so unexpectedly, who also lives in Canada, it is going to be a bitter sweet journey for him.)

Already explained earlier in the thread.
    Either way, no need for concern, follow the advice and set both cards to pay off the full statement balance and there'll be no card charges(apart from whatever the Canadian ATMs charge) nor interest charged.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be setting up a starling acount on your phone and in his name.

Mike
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family