Faulty appliance causing huge electric bills?

123457»

Comments

• nvas7407
    nvas7407 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    nvas7407 can I go right back to when you moved in and made contact with Bulb - how was the DD established ? Did someone say that the previous occupiers used £90 a month and the DD was set on that basis? If so I think you are proving the point that people have different lifestyles and standards of comfort and with this goes different costs.
    i have gone into the website to look at previous readings. I have noted the readings below. 95 DD seems to have been agreed based on previous owners' usage..

19 Apr 18 Gas Customer 6131
    19 Apr 18 Electricity Manual 40434
    06 Apr 18 Gas Estimated 6094
    06 Apr 18 Electricity Estimated 40309
    30 Mar 18 Gas Customer 6068
    30 Mar 18 Electricity Customer 40231
    06 Mar 18 Gas Estimated 5971
    06 Mar 18 Electricity Estimated 40060
    04 Feb 18 Gas Customer 5832
    04 Feb 18 Electricity Customer 39651
    06 Jan 18 Gas Estimated 5672
    06 Jan 18 Electricity Estimated 39357
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you did not provide readings when you first moved in that will be part of the problem.

I know you want bright lights for health reasons but they come at a cost. Have a bright light in your lounge, where you will spend most of your time (go for the highest wattage or whatever the energy bulbs come in), throughout the rest of your house put energy bulbs.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • nvas7407
    If you did not provide readings when you first moved in that will be part of the problem.

I know you want bright lights for health reasons but they come at a cost. Have a bright light in your lounge, where you will spend most of your time (go for the highest wattage or whatever the energy bulbs come in), throughout the rest of your house put energy bulbs.
    We moved in April and that's when we gave our reading. And since then it was been estimates only (my mistake). I gave electric reading alone in July, which has led them to asking me to up my DD. In terms of the light, yes, dull light makes me ill. I don't know if a low watt/ high lumen LED white light might suit me and i can then use that in the room i mostly use. I am just not sure where i can go to check these out. Ikea seemed to have a few bulbs in cages/boxes, but i am not sure if they we let me test out a few bulbs to check which one makes me not want to kill myself. I can't think of any other shop besides Ikea where i might be able to do that..
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yup, you'd be surprised. It uses up electricity for the clock, and if the door's open for the light too. I used to live in a house with a card meter and I could see the difference when I unplugged the microwave.
    Boxman wrote: »
    Purely out of curiosity can you quantify that?

Microwave on standby: £3 or £4 a year

Modern TV on standby: 25p to £2 a year

Old style mobile phone charger:
    - plugged in only while charging 10p a year
    - charge and left overnight: 20p a year
    - left plugged in all the time: 30p a year

For smartphones double or treble that.

DECT cordless phone and base: maybe £2 to £4 a year (a guess)

Gas central heating electronic control: £6 a year

Gas cooker electricity use: £2 to £5 a year

WiFi router: £2 to £10 a year.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nvas7407 wrote: »
    In terms of the light, yes, dull light makes me ill. I don't know if a low watt/ high lumen LED white light might suit me and i can then use that in the room i mostly use. I am just not sure where i can go to check these out. Ikea seemed to have a few bulbs in cages/boxes, but i am not sure if they we let me test out a few bulbs to check which one makes me not want to kill myself. I can't think of any other shop besides Ikea where i might be able to do that..
    Good old British Home Stores always used to have a big lighting dept where different bulbs and shades were on display. Can you not find a shop selling lighting where you could test out various bulbs? I suspect if you found a shop, there'd be someone there who'd know how to translate watts to lumens!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nvas7407
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Good old British Home Stores always used to have a big lighting dept where different bulbs and shades were on display. Can you not find a shop selling lighting where you could test out various bulbs? I suspect if you found a shop, there'd be someone there who'd know how to translate watts to lumens!
    i will ask around if there are shops that deal with lighting. :)
  • LED s are available in many outlets.Screwfix are reliable for using tried and tested makes unlike Ebay where some downright dangerous ones are on sale direct from Chinese sweatshops should be avoided. BBC Fake Britain prog showed that some of them could give you a shock just holding them if your earthing was nt up to standard
    Halogen spots can be replaced at a huge drop in wattage. 10 x L.E.D. Gu10 5.3 watt are £13 a pack. Cool white for kitchens and warm white for lounges. Don t go less than 5 watts. the 3 watters are nt bright enough
    Candle type bulbs fitted in hanging pendants, small screw/bayonet fitting are £7.19 for a pack of 4.
    I have two hanging pendants in my 18 ft lounge with 8 x led bulbs of 5 watts each in warm white.Total only 40 watts compared to 400 watts if they were old types.
    All the different fittings are available nowadays in LED
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have problems with lighting avoid warm white & go for cool white. I now only use warm white for bedside lights. Warm white feels like a cloud hovering over me, sitting in gloom etc. I know that cool white is supposed to be bad for sleep but it really makes a difference during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure