PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• jostini
    Options
    Thank you for your response.

We only have the name and address of the rent charge owner that is on the deeds so we don't actually know if they are still contactable.

Could you tell me what a state redemption is? and how long does it normally take to get one?

Also, can you explain briefly how indemnity insurance would be useful?

Thank you for your help thus far
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,780 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jostini wrote: »
    Thank you for your response.

We only have the name and address of the rent charge owner that is on the deeds so we don't actually know if they are still contactable.

Could you tell me what a state redemption is? and how long does it normally take to get one?

Also, can you explain briefly how indemnity insurance would be useful?

Thank you for your help thus far

Follow the link provided and read the advice given

Indemnity insurance woukd be taken against them coming forward and claiming 6 years worth of the monies

You do need to be speaking to your solicitor about this
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • shardill
    shardill Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning, the property I already interested has folowing in the charges register:

"(11.08.1988) A conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 1 December 1926 made between (1) Mr A and (2) Mr B contains restricted covenants but neither the original deed nor a certified copy or examined abstract thereof was produced on first registration "

Can you please advise what effect this can have in future? Or should I avoid buying this property.
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    shardill wrote: »
    Morning, the property I already interested has folowing in the charges register:

"(11.08.1988) A conveyance of the land in this title and other land dated 1 December 1926 made between (1) Mr A and (2) Mr B contains restricted covenants but neither the original deed nor a certified copy or examined abstract thereof was produced on first registration "

Can you please advise what effect this can have in future? Or should I avoid buying this property.

Restrictive covenants are imposed for the benefit of land so best case scenario is that it has no effect as no landowner ever comes forward to produce the deed/covenants and demonstrate that their land has the benefit and you have breached the covenants.

Worse case scenario is that they do.

The entry is known as a protective one as when the land was first registered the deeds submitted referred to this Conveyance but that's all. As it was not produced we have no other details.

Your conveyancer would have to advise you on whether it is a deal breaker re the purchase. In my experience most would advise you as to the risk as mentioned and whether you can/should insure against that risk through an indemnity policy
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An indemnity insurance is a common solution.

But be aware that this will not protect you from the covenant, only from the financial consequences of the covenant.

So if the covenant prohibits keeping pigs in the garden, and you wish to start a pig small-holding in the garden (and have planning consent to do so - this is a separate issue), then if the neighbour produces proof that they are the beneficiary of the covenant and enforces it, your insurance won't help you to start up your small-holding, but might cover your financial loss resulting from your inability to run your business. (though I suspect you might still have a fight making a claim!)
  • Edward_Nygma
    Options
    Hello,

I have an urgent query regarding my mum's property. She moved recently and my brother who was a guarantor and who has basically been a rent free bill free tennant since the 90's (yep she cooks and washes for him too!). He has filled out her moving forms and unbeknownst to her, has managed to get his name on the registry. My goodness.

My question is, my mum is no longer the first name; :PROPRIETOR ....'John' and 'mum'. Is there any significance in the name ordering? Why is his name first?

And also, when it comes to her death will he get full rights to the whole property?

I think there is a will, but can a will decide that 1/2 of the property goes to me the second 'non-freeloading' child? can a Will override so my mum's half does not fall into his hands?

We'll have to figure out how he managed to just fill out some paperwork and actually get on the deeds– he's never made any mortgage or deposit payment...just a !!!!!!!!!! ...
    Help!
    Thanks!
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Hello,

I have an urgent query regarding my mum's property. She moved recently and my brother who was a guarantor and who has basically been a rent free bill free tennant since the 90's (yep she cooks and washes for him too!). He has filled out her moving forms and unbeknownst to her, has managed to get his name on the registry. My goodness.

My question is, my mum is no longer the first name; :PROPRIETOR ....'John' and 'mum'. Is there any significance in the name ordering? Why is his name first?

And also, when it comes to her death will he get full rights to the whole property?

I think there is a will, but can a will decide that 1/2 of the property goes to me the second 'non-freeloading' child? can a Will override so my mum's half does not fall into his hands?

We'll have to figure out how he managed to just fill out some paperwork and actually get on the deeds– he's never made any mortgage or deposit payment...just a !!!!!!!!!! ...
    Help!
    Thanks!

There is no significance in the order of the names - they will have been registered in the order they were referred to in the legal deed presumably submitted to update the register.

The normal way a title is updated is by the existing registered owner transferring to joint names

The legal ownership will pass to the surviving joint owner following a death but wills are an important part in protecting the deceased's share of the property for example
    I would strongly recommend that you seek legal advice re both what happens next and if you have any concerns over how the update was achieved.
  • smegal
    smegal Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello

I am trying to locate a copy of the head-lease (aka superior lease) which relates to the lease for our individual flat (aka sublease or under lease). I'm hoping to find the detail of how the Service Charge is supposed to be divided across all the different properties on the estate as some are freehold, some have lifts, etc.

Our Lease Title No is SY551601 and believe the Headless Title No is SY714366 as this is number our conveyancing solicitor was quoting when trying to obtain it from the seller's solicitor, to no avail I'm afraid.

Is there a way to confirm that is the headlease?
    How do I obtain a copy?

Thanks for your help.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Land_Registry
    edited 5 August 2018 at 8:28AM
    Options
    SY551601 is a freehold title out of which a head lease is granted and registered under SY714366

You can apply by post for a copy of the head lease. If you don't have the details required then you would need to check the register before applying and you can do that by searching using the title number
  • smegal
    smegal Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    Found our Title registry which is SY717082 for our flat.
    Is the head lease SY714366 assigned to a specific property or if not to what?

Thanks again.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback