Need Guidance, What do do Next?

Dear All,

I am a FTB and planning to apply for a joint mortgage application with my spouse.

We have got AIP from Halifax for £340k and have a deposit of £70k

Tomorrow morning going to view 3 properties.

Need suggestions regarding

1) What are the important points to consder when viewing a property?
2) Are we allowed to take photos, as for two properties we are viewing, Zoopla has got only one image?
3) Can we view the property again as we want to look deeply or it looks strange why we are viewing it again?

4) Any specific question/questions to ask from the vendor?
5) I an looking at 3 bed semi detached houses

a) Property No 1 was first listed by EA for 350k in Aug 18 and then listed again by another EA for £340k in Dec 2018
b) Property No 2 first listed by EA in Jan 19 for 340K, then reduced to 335k in Feb 2019 , reduced again to 330k in March 19
c) Property No 3 first listed by EA in Nov 18 for 350K, then reduced to 340k in Jan 2019 , reduced again to 330k in March 19

6) Any idea on how much to offer?

Thanks in advance

Mazi

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A mortgage that much would be around £1100 per month from halifax, which is a lot.

You may not want to put down all the deposit as you need to pay fees etc, plus maybe furniture etc?

When looking at the properties, just have a good look about. See whether you like the property, and start to get some feelings. Second visit is for looking for things in more detail in my opinion.

Think, can you live with the batbroom / kitchen / decor? If not, then budget to change it at some point. Does anything jump out as needing immediate attention?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    View plenty of properties. That way you'll know when you find one that you like. Before considering making an offer view at least once more. Surprising what you notice the second time that you missed the first. As to what to offer. That may depend on other interest in the property.
  • mazibee
    mazibee Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Any specific questions to ask or things to check when viewing?

Soryy for being noob, as have no experience at all.

Thanks in advance.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Well you need to do your own research.
    Have you looked at the Rightmove adverts in details ?
    The EPC will give you the floor area of the house ! The energy rating of the property !
    This gives you an idea of energy bills.
    Is the garden south facing ?
    How old are the properties ?
    What is important to you and your spouse ?
    Garage, large garden, three good sized bedrooms ? Downstairs toilet, ensuite bathroom, kitchen/dinner !
    Good schools, off road parking, good security.
    Write down a list of what is most important to you
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    mazibee wrote: »
    Any specific questions to ask or things to check when viewing?

I personally prefer viewing with the EA than having an eager seller hanging around. As for questions. Imagine you are living there. What would matter to you? As with buying a car the physical side can be checked over. If you like a property then I would suggest going back to the location at different times of the day.What may seem like a quiet road may not be.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    1) What are the important points to consder when viewing a property?
    - What is important to you?
    I would say try to look at the windows, are they on their way out? That is a relatively expensive job. Electrics are a big job, when were they done.
    2) Are we allowed to take photos, as for two properties we are viewing, Zoopla has got only one image?
    - Unusual but not unheard of. Just ask permission.
    3) Can we view the property again as we want to look deeply or it looks strange why we are viewing it again?
    - Most people do 2 viewings.

4) Any specific question/questions to ask from the vendor?
    - See point one. But bare in mind, they may be lying and you can not hold them to anything.
    5) I an looking at 3 bed semi detached houses
    a) Property No 1 was first listed by EA for 350k in Aug 18 and then listed again by another EA for £340k in Dec 2018
    b) Property No 2 first listed by EA in Jan 19 for 340K, then reduced to 335k in Feb 2019 , reduced again to 330k in March 19
    c) Property No 3 first listed by EA in Nov 18 for 350K, then reduced to 340k in Jan 2019 , reduced again to 330k in March 19

6) Any idea on how much to offer?
    - Imagine you were selling it, what would you want for it? Chances are it will be as much as possible and the same will be said for the vendors. They will know what they want for it and they will all be different. Make an offer that you think is fair and reasonable and go from there.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mazibee
    Thanks for all the suggestions

Update:
    Very disappointed after viewing the three properties, as photos of the properties, EA has put on their website and the situation physically is much different.

One property that look a bit reasonable need a lot of work doing , rest of the 2 dont meet our requirements.

In a complete perplex situation.

One another property offered at £340K, today reduced to £320K, will arrange viewing tomorrow and will keep updated.
  • LRmortgage
    LRmortgage Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Keep viewing properties until you find the one you want.
    My wife and I viewed about 20 before bought our house.
    Buying a house is a huge commitment, so make sure you’re getting what you want. It might take a while, but you’ll find the right one.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mazibee
    Please can someone explain me whats the difference between off street parking as compared to drive way parking.

In few houses, we have shorlisted, the photos depicts that the house has parking but in the description its written as off street parking for 2/3 cars, its not mentioned drive way parking.
  • Finchy2018
    Finchy2018 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Property adverts with only one photo usually mean they require a lot of work and so you don't put many photos online as they would put prospective purchasers off. (or its tenanted and they won't allow access for photos)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure