Not in financial hardship now can I reclaim old bank charges ??

In 2010 my husband and I ended up having to go into an IVA, this was primarily caused by Lloyd’s crippling us with bank charges and overdraft charges. We bought out of the IVA in 2014 and have been fine since (with another bank !!) Can I still claim for this ??

Comments

• Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    In a word... ‘No’.

Banks are only required to consider current financial hardship... even then a refund of fees is rarely their response as they would usually cancel new fees due and perhaps arranged to freeze interest (certainly would not be refunding historic charges), but as your are not currently in a cycle of charges there is nothing for them to consider I’m afraid.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Banks consider "current" financial hardship cases. Not historic. You also have to still bank with them. This is in part because refund of charges is only part of the solution. Indeed, sometimes they dont refund a penny but use the other methods.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    kel5777 wrote: »
    In 2010 my husband and I ended up having to go into an IVA, this was primarily caused by Lloyd’s crippling us with bank charges and overdraft charges.
    The IVA was your escape from this, interest and other charges will already have been written off as part of your IVA. Why would you be entitled to any further recompense nine years on?

Well done for being in a position to buy out of the IVA in 2014.

Put this where it belongs; in the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport