Help, been sold a stolen car

Comments

• marie3196658
    marie3196658 Posts: 17 Forumite
    The car did have a v5c but the seller didnt send off the paperwork for me to get a log book for the car. I had the little green slip which I later used to apply for a manual log book and had one sent to me it was only when the correct car got sold that the issue was raised. I did also do the hpi checks and nothing came up because I repeat again the number plates were false
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So have you involved the old bill? am bloody sure i would of by now i'd be staking the area out looking for the toe rag
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You did an HPI check. Sending off the paperwork is irrelevant. Did you meet the t&c's for their guarantee?
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The car did have a v5c but the seller didnt send off the paperwork for me to get a log book for the car. I had the little green slip which I later used to apply for a manual log book and had one sent to me it was only when the correct car got sold that the issue was raised. I did also do the hpi checks and nothing came up because I repeat again the number plates were false

if you used the referance number on the V5 when doing ther HPI check , then I suspect you are covered , I have NOT studied terms/conditions , you should now
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i bought a car in November 2017 and it has been found that the car has been stolen. false number plates put on with matching VIN numbers on the windscreen and inside the drivers door panel. we found out because we were having a problem trying to obtain a V5 for the car (after not receiving it from the change over from the buyer).
    we are now without a car and £15000 out of pocket. can anybody give any advice of the best way forward to try and get our money back or even the car. the insurance company that insured the car at the time of it being stolen have already paid out for the car and will take possession of the vehicle. i have been intouch with them and i am waiting a reply to see if we can get the car back at all.
    we paid cash after receiving a good enough 'excuse' why he couldn't receive money through a bank transfer, so not covered on any debit or credit card insurance
    we bought the car from an advert on Auto Trader and did the additional checks, but of course we were doing the checks on a false number plate hence why it came back all clear and no suspicions were raised when we bought the car.
    any advice would be much appreciated

As an aside, paying by bank transfer is the same as paying in cash. It gives you no protection when things like this happen.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    if you used the referance number on the V5 when doing ther HPI check , then I suspect you are covered , I have NOT studied terms/conditions , you should now

Logic says that's unlikely.
  • they said that they leased the car since new and decided to buy off the lease company to sell on and get an updated model.
    it is all an absolute mess that seems nothing can be done about it. there is compensation for everything other than being a victim of crime in these circumstances.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have you gone to the police?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2018 at 3:14PM
    they said that they leased the car since new and decided to buy off the lease company to sell on and get an updated model.
    it is all an absolute mess that seems nothing can be done about it. there is compensation for everything other than being a victim of crime in these circumstances.

You have carelessly, let's be honest, handed over £15,000 to a con man.

Where is the compensation supposed to come from for this? From the tax payer? If so, should everyone who suffers any loss due to crime be compensated by the tax payer, regardless of their degree of negligence? Can we do away with insurance against theft?

That's never really been part of our system. It would be a huge change to make it so. It's not that simple an issue.

I should point out, as well, that the reason the default position in this case is to believe you is because there's no reason for you to lie. There's no proof you handed over £15,000 to anyone. If there was any way you could be compensated for that £15,000, especially without anyone having been convicted, the number of false claims would be astronomical.
  • seashore22 wrote: »
    As an aside, paying by bank transfer is the same as paying in cash. It gives you no protection when things like this happen.
    It gives no official protection, but it does mean you have a sort code and account number that the money went in to. Banks have to perform "Know Your Customer" checks, as well as having Anti-Money Laundering processes in place. You're at a lot better starting point than just handing cash over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure