Car Insurance Cancelled following accident.

2»

Comments

• MrsShazbat
    MrsShazbat Posts: 768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sheramber wrote: »
    When we wrote off our car our insurance company gave us one month to replace the car to continue the policy.

This is what I've just been told this evening - 30 days.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Amiga500 wrote: »
    Sigh... you are legally required when trying to take out a policy to state if you have had insurance refused or cancelled in the past. If this is the case then an insurer may refuse to insure you or do so at an added premium......

Your cancellation was due to no car being covered by the policy

This won't have to be disclosed to future insurers. And won't have any detriment to you getting a policy in future ( though the claim obviously may have detrimental affect on future premiums)
  • Quentin wrote: »
    Your cancellation was due to no car being covered by the policy.

This won't have to be disclosed to future insurers.

So what about when the insurance application asks whether you have ever had any insurance cancelled? You have to answer yes (or are you saying a cancel is not a cancel) and then its usually game over for any cheap online quote??
  • A few days ago whilst driving from work a van when into the back of my car . I explained this to my insurance , but did not realise that my policy was Social only . When I realised this I immediately updated my policy to add commuting and so my new policy was sent via email and I was charged an admin fee also . A day after , I was sent an email by the insurance company stating that the underwriter are no longer willing to insure me as I was a risk at the quote given . Now I understand that the man that hit my car was trying claim compensation for neck injury ! Can someone please tell me if the underwriters can cancel my insurance even after pay amending it with go Skippy?
  • Sounds like you weren't covered for commuting at the time of the accident and so were uninsured. Maybe your insurer has a problem with that.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ebonyspice wrote: »
    A few days ago whilst driving from work a van when into the back of my car . I explained this to my insurance , but did not realise that my policy was Social only . When I realised this I immediately updated my policy to add commuting and so my new policy was sent via email and I was charged an admin fee also . A day after , I was sent an email by the insurance company stating that the underwriter are no longer willing to insure me as I was a risk at the quote given . Now I understand that the man that hit my car was trying claim compensation for neck injury ! Can someone please tell me if the underwriters can cancel my insurance even after pay amending it with go Skippy?

Your insurance company like yourself can cancel the policy at any time, should be in your policy conditions?

You were driving uninsured so any claim made to Go Skippy will be rejected. Sorry.

If the van did indeed run into the back of you then you can claim through the 3rd part insurance. It will be the van driver at fault so do not worry about compo for neck injuries.

If anything it is usually the person that is hit that makes a claim these days.

Perhaps getting a claims handler involved would be beneficial?

Someone more experienced will be along shortly with better advice. Good luck
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    So what about when the insurance application asks whether you have ever had any insurance cancelled? You have to answer yes (or are you saying a cancel is not a cancel) and then its usually game over for any cheap online quote??

They're saying that when you obtain any future quotes or take out a policy online or elsewhere you won't need to declare that type of cancelation.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 March 2019 at 12:46AM
    Amiga500 wrote: »
    In October I was in a major car accident, I'm still off work now. I haven't bought a replacement card yet, although I was about to. I have to drive for my job, so no car= no work.

Today I received an email from my insurers (Hastings Direct) that they have cancelled my car insurance. There are no reasons given BUT one of the sentences says "By replying to this message you are confirming that the policy detailed above, and to which your Certificate of Insurance relates to, will be cancelled from 20th March 2019." which strikes me as fairly sharp practice!

Before ringing them up, I'd like to know what my options and rights are please. The actual service I've received through my "personal claims handler" throughout has been pretty poor so I'm not expecting much to be honest.

Thanks!

The system automatically cancels it after a certain period of time if another car isn’t added to the policy after a total loss claim. Also, this does not have to be declared as a cancellation.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure