Rambling Man's mutterings.

Right, I already have a diary but haven't visited it in at least 2 years, so time to start a new one.

A little bit about me and my life.
Since November 2018 I have been an agency worker trying to scratch a living whilst attempting to gain permanent employment.
I also lost my mum on 31/12/18 and so have inherited a dog.
As a result, myself and MrsP. have had to relocate to my now-deceased parents house as, unlike my flat, it has a garden.

This means I am trying to keep my flat bills paid whilst living nearby. As such, I have a new monthly challenge and that is to make £1,000 per month to keep the wolf from the door.

My long term plan is to sell my flat and buy my brother's 50% of the house. The equity in the flat is not sufficient to buy the 50% after clearing my mortgage and debts, but my fsther-in-law died last August so my wife has a 50% share of his estate to come. However, there is a little complication in that her brother is in jail and has a June release date. We agreed he could return to the house for 3 months whilst he gets himself sorted wit the probation service.

Anyway, with tommorrow being the1st of the month, I will be +£53.04 towards my target. I obtained 2 days work this week that I will be paid for next week. This should take my target to £270, leaving £730 to go.

As of this evening, I have no work for next week, but do have an interview tommorrow and another Monday.

Jobs for March-

Photograph an list a console table I got free and upcycled.
List my 1t trolley jack (I have inherited a new 2 Tonne one from my F-in-L)
List a torque wrench.
List a new router bench I no longer need.
Sort and list any other tools I find in my F-in-L's shed

Look for next upcycling project.
Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Comments

• patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Listed console table at 12:30 today and had n offer at 14:45. Sold for£75 plus £10 to deliver it.
    Taking out costs of paint and stain that gives me a profit of £50.

Listed torque wrench.

Lined up next project. Got a trailer for £50 that just needs a quick re-paint and new floor and sides. As I already have the paint and 1 full sheet of plywood, all I need is 1 sheet of ply and a tin of varnish to give the wood extra protection and I am good to go.

Costs for materials should be less than £50 and the trailer should resell for £450.

This will help my monthly target no end.

• chupachups4
    chupachups4 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Hello,

subscribed.
    I like your upcycling project.
    Can you rent your flat?
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • patman99
    @chupachups the plan is to sell my flat (potential buyer already lined up), then sell F-in-L's house. The equity in the flat along with my spouse's 50% share of her inheritence will more than cover the 50% I need to raise to buy out my brother.
    I can then do up the house (it needs new windows and I want to add a proper sun room on the back). then, in 10 years time, sell and buy a bungalow (if it needs work, then it will be just another project within my capabilities).

Anyway, this week's update.
    The trailer was a bit of a farce. Both wheels were flat and one tyre was split. Ordered a new tyre at £57, then, before I took the wheel in to have it fitted, found a guy with loads of trailer wheels with tyres, so got two for £50 and now have a contact should I need more.

Changed wheel on trailer and towed it home. a mile from home the remaining original tyre split so I had to drive slowly to get home safely. Good job I went for 2 wheels instead of just the 1 I was originally intending to purchase.

Anyway, the week took an unexpected turn. Had an interview on Monday tht lead to a trial day Tuesday that lead to a job offer so now back in permanent work. This is paid on the last day of the month, so things will be tight for a while whilst I build up my funds. In fact, if I need anything for the trailer or my storage box stool project, then they will have to be put on the back burner for a couple of weeks.

Sold the torque wrench and found another to list tomorrow.

Other work to do -
    Strip trailer ready for painting (started this, but so windy it wasn't worth the riskof random bits of wood being picked-up and hurled into neighbours cars).
    List 2nd torque wrench.
    Look for other tools to sell.

• WOW Congrats on getting the job, that must feel good! :):)

I trying to work up the enthusiasm for e bay.....

Glad things are looking up :) XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • chupachups4
    chupachups4 Posts: 156 Forumite
    congrats for the job
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • Great news about the job.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • patman99
    This week's update.
    Finished 2nd week of work. Everything is looking good in that are.

Trailer - stripped and painted wheels. The rest of the trailer sits waiting for the wind and rain to subside so I can actually get on with it.

Sold 2 of my mum's books on ebay. Just another 200 to go.

• patman99
    Not much to report this week.

Project #1
    Stool with storage - leg made and painted.
    Left to do -
    Fit legs
    Make/fit seat.

Project #2
    Trailer.
    Wheels done. Just got to start on frame.

The winds of the last couple of weeks have taken out a fence panel and weakened the whole fence.
    I cannot do anything with regards to the fence as I do not yet own the house. I will have to spek to my brother and the solicitors to see if they will free up some funds to buy panels and posts to replace te whole fenceline.

• patman99
    Good weather today, so made the most of it.

Project #1 is all but fininshed. Decided seat will be lift-off so just got to attach blocks to hold it in, then done.

Project #2 has had paint applied to parts of the frame.

My giving the grass it's first cut of the year on Friday seams to have woken other mowers from their winter hibernation. Both neighbours cut their grass Saturday and today the chap 2 doors down cut his.

Started to clear up the garage, with plans to remove two cupboards and most of the shelves in order to create a working workshop area so I don't have to keep using the lean-to to work in.

• patman99
    This week's update.

Project #1 is complete nd up for sale on Farcebook.

Project #2 -
    All wood now stripped from trailer. framework sanded and 90% painted.
    Measurements taken for wood. I think I have enough without having to actually buy any.

Got first wage from new job, so not so skint as I was.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback