Refusal to honour car insurance quote by Halifax

I was looking at buying a car and got quotes through Compare The Market. The cheapest at £429 was Halifax. On that basis I went and bought the car and phoned Halifax to accept the quote.

The email said the quote was valid for 30 days but I was told the quote wouldn't be honoured as I hadn't bought the car when I got the quote. Instead it was going to cost £617.

I complained and insured elsewhere. I ended up having to pay over £500 with another company. I wouldn't have bought the car if I had known the insurance was going to be so dear!

Escalations said they would honour the quote and pay the cost of any cancellation fee up to £30, then when I called to tell them how much the cancellation costs were they refused to honour the quote all over again. Disgusted!

Is this sort of behaviour common place?

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Some battles are worth fighting, is this one of them? Shop around, Quotes change all the time
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Did you keep your original quote reference? Just go online and purchase using the reference.

Unless you made changes to the quote or corrected anything?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    oldnick wrote: »
    I was looking at buying a car and got quotes through Compare The Market. The cheapest at £429 was Halifax. On that basis I went and bought the car and phoned Halifax to accept the quote.

The email said the quote was valid for 30 days but I was told the quote wouldn't be honoured as I hadn't bought the car when I got the quote. Instead it was going to cost £617.
    If you answered the question "When did you buy the car?" with "I haven't bought this car yet" then I would argue that you should never have been shown the £429....maybe this was an issue with the comparison site not passing data correctly.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    If you answered the question "When did you buy the car?" with "I haven't bought this car yet" then I would argue that you should never have been shown the £429....maybe this was an issue with the comparison site not passing data correctly.

Why?

It's normal to get quotes prior to the anticipated start date of a policy.

And "when did you buy the vehicle" type questions are the norm, together with the option " not yet bought"

A quote is invariably generated when you have not yet bought the car.

And they will let you buy a policy to start on a future date when you do buy the car
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    oldnick wrote: »

I complained and insured elsewhere. I ended up having to pay over £500 with another company. I wouldn't have bought the car if I had known the insurance was going to be so dear!

Escalations said they would honour the quote and pay the cost of any cancellation fee up to £30, then when I called to tell them how much the cancellation costs were they refused to honour the quote all over again. Disgusted!

Is this sort of behaviour common place?

Are you really asking us to believe that you only purchased the car because your insurance quote came to £429?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure