"Domestic Assist Ltd" - scam domestic cover company preying on elderly

Hi,
Just wanted to make people aware that a company masquerading as a "24/7" domestic repair company - Domestic Assist Ltd (based, allegedly, in Poole, Dorset) - are preying on the elderly and vulnerable by telephone, regardless of whether their victims are on the TPS system or have call blocking etc.
I discovered last summer that this firm had cold called my elderly father in early April 2018 and persuaded him to pay £150 a year for domestic appliance cover by direct debit.
I have power of attorney over my dad's accounts, as he can easily get confused, and I work along with some fantastic employees at his local bank branch to make sure things are in order day to day with his account (eg they blocked him from making a £2000 withdrawal one day last summer when a fencing firm persuaded him he needed perfectly good fencing replacing).
But with me being 280 miles away and Dad not being good enough with a mobile phone for us to feel comfortable taking out his landline, he is vulnerable to cold call scammers.
Lo and behold, as I say, this company - Domestic Assist - had evidently called him and he had agreed to take out appliance cover with them. This is despite us ensuring he already has full appliance cover within his home insurance policy.
When I checked his accounts and saw that they had taken a payment of £150, I called them and challenged them, pointing out he was on the TPS system and that they had committed an offence in calling him.
After a 10-minute to and fro with an utterly unapologetic, brazen guy, I made clear that if they contacted my father again and did not cancel the direct direct, I would report them to the TPS system, Trading Standards and their local police.
Yet, incredibly, I have just discovered that the same company have AGAIN contacted Dad, and he has again been persuaded to part with ANOTHER £150.
I have only just discovered this this afternoon and tried to call Domestic Assist.
But it turns out I am too late and they are only contactable in office hours.
That is despite their website - http://domesticassist.co.uk/ - boasting they are a 24/7 domestic emergency repair operation!!
If anyone has the time to look at the website, you'll see it for what it is - an absolute scam site.
A quick check shows the company was set up in December 2017 by a Matthew Scott - a 20something whose work is "telesales".
There is no "24/7 call centre", as the website suggests.
Basically, it's clearly a case of Matthew Scott setting up a bunch of call centre monkeys to fleece the vulnerable and sod it if they actually have an appliance problem beyond 5pm or at weekends (who can say if they actually send anyone out to customers at all).
The fact that they have AGAIN targeted my dad, despite me playing and threatening hell with them just 7-8 months ago, suggests to me that they are calling a staggering number of people (I assume his number has just remained on their list and they got round to him again).
I'll obviously be speaking to these shysters first thing on Monday. But I just hope not too many other people are being duped by them.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport