still being chased by creditors

Hi everyone I was bankrupted in dec 2018 and am paying an IPA, one of my creditors has sold my debt to a PRA group collection agency I have received a letter from them and from Marbles who sold it to them. Can PRA chase for this debt after my bankrupsy finishes in 2019 even tho this was included in my creditors list?

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In a word - no. Unless the debt is secured against assets you still own or the debt is on the list of excluded debts such as Magistrates fines, child maintenance, student loan etc.
  • Thanks for your advice The Gardener.....Update is that the OR wrote to Santander and told them again I was bankrupt but this morning I received another letter from Santander giving me 14 days to pay £285 overdraft
    (this was included in my bancrupsy) or they will take further action against me. Do I ignore this or contact the OR again? thanks for any advice given.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Happens a lot - and I'm nearly 5 years since BR! The first time I send a letter with copy of BR order, the second time I send further copy of BR with another letter and copy of my first letter. The third and subsequent times I just ignore. After the first couple of times I either get a nice letter saying they've amended their details, or else nothing.

They just try it on, hoping you'll not realise and pay up. And I bet some people do which is why they think it's worth trying.

A letter from the OR might do the trick, (but as you've found, they can just as easily ignore that too), I didn't bother, I knew I was in the right so I can deal with this myself.

Good luck, but don't worry about it.

EJ
  • kazzaaanne
    kazzaaanne Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your input elljay it is much appreciated
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Op,

Just be aware that you have legal protection from all your debts, in bankrupcy, most everything is included regardless of wether you knew about the debt or not.

They have absolutly no remedy against you, they can threaten what they like, its all hot air, in truth, these things take a long time to trickle through these large companies, majority of these type of letters are computer generated, your name had yet to be removed from the list.

Thats all it is......
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure