Dog bit postman through letterbox

Options
124»

Comments

• DamoGBay
    Options
    Hi. It’s traumatic to be bitten by a dog and, apart from the shock element, there is the worry that an infection may result from the bite. For you to assess the postman’s trauma and worry by the “amount of blood” on his finger is not fair, and to me suggests you’re more interested in justifying yourself than accepting responsibility for the fact that you own an animal which inflicted an injury on a non-trespasser going about their day-to-day business.
    Some mail deliverers are told that it is important to ensure that mail is fully pushed through the door so that uncollected mail doesn’t attract potential burglars who are alerted to the fact their is no one home.
    So it is conceivable that a conscientious worker may push his fingers passed the inside of the letterbox to ensure the mail has gone fully through - especially if you have letterbox draft excluders.

Every homeowner knows to expect that postmen will call on their property. So every dog owner should consider the risks that their animals pose in these scenarios.

Your defence that the dog usually barks and that he’s never done it before only go to the point that you had (perhaps understandably) become complacent about the risks. Perhaps your dog didn’t bark this time. Perhaps the postman is hard of hearing. What else are you suggesting: that the postman thought “Hey, sounds like there’s a vicious dog behind this door, I’ll offer it my fingers!”?

I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic. You are doing the right thing by putting a parcel cage on your door. I’m not saying you’re uncaring. But the point is that you own an animal that bit a person. You should have taken all measures (including getting a warning sign and a parcel cage) to ensure that your animal doesn’t pose a threat to people who are performing a service for you.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why have you decided to join this forum and reply to a thread over a year old?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    Why have you decided to join this forum and reply to a thread over a year old?

It is not that uncommon for a new forum member's first post to be on the end of an old thread that interests them. It happens quite often in some other sections. If they are seeking advice they are usually politely told that they will probably get more responses if they start a new thread.

Regardless of being in response to an old thread, I think DamoGBay's post makes a lot of sense.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It is not that uncommon for a new forum member's first post to be on the end of an old thread that interests them. It happens quite often in some other sections. If they are seeking advice they are usually politely told that they will probably get more responses if they start a new thread.

Regardless of being in response to an old thread, I think DamoGBay's post makes a lot of sense.
    I do think it's worth pointing out that a post is on an old thread i.e. necropost as donnac2558 has done.

Sometimes in these circumstances people respond to the OP - who usually is long-gone as in this case - the OP last logged on in September 2018 (actually one day after starting this thread) - and posters often [STRIKE]spend[/STRIKE] waste their time with advice for someone who is no longer listening.

The advice may be good but the thread is still over a year old and the OP isn't logging on anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure