Dog with allergies

My boy, an almost two year old mini dachshund, has just been diagnosed with multiple allergies. After several months of skin problems with limited response to multiple treatments (antibiotics, steroids, apoquel, betafuse gel) our vet recommended several tests, including sensitest allergy test, to establish the cause of his problems. The results of the sensitest showed he had a mild/moderate allergy to most meats and a moderate/severe allergy to several types of grass pollen and house dust mites.

Now we now what's causing the problem we're keen to try and seen if limiting his exposure and contact with these things and taking other preventative measures will improve his skin before we try the expensive and potentially life long monthly injections.

Has anyone any experience with this? He's not on any medication currently but has twice weekly baths with malaseb. We live in an area with a lot of grass, he loves walkies. We have upholstered furniture and mainly carpeted floors, whislt we clean routinely I don't think we're being effective against dust mites. He has hypoallergenic food but I've noticed many brands hypoallergenic food still contain chicken or other meats he's allergic to, we wondered if we'd be better with hydrolysed protein dog food but can't find any.

If anyone can offer any suggestions (especially inexpensive ideas) at all we'd be massively appreciative. Thanks :beer:

Comments

• Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 996
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2019 at 4:33PM
    Well I have only a dog with sensitive tum....I have heard good reports of Lintbells YuMEGA Itchy Dog Supplement..the only thing is it is pricey at £19 if it didn't help.

My dog can't eat food with potato - so I stick with Naturediet Feelgood range wet food, they do a fish/rice and a salmon/rice one worth looking at it is 60% fish and rice. Also there is Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon & Rice which is a dry food not sure if it has been changed to Pro Plan Sensitive Skin OptiDerma - Salmon.

I use the Naturediet and use most varieties works out much cheaper online but buy in bulk, if you live in South/West/Midland?London there is a pet store called Pets Corner, while more expensive you can buy just one carton, so maybe could try and if ok order online.

Hope this gives you a few ideas to look at, sorry unsure of advice on dust mites
  • Royal Canin make a hydrolysed protein food which may help. I've fed it to my Lurcher with food allergies so that we could work out what caused a problem and he did really well on it x

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-canine-anallergenic-dry-an-18

M x
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My boy, an almost two year old mini dachshund, has just been diagnosed with multiple allergies. After several months of skin problems with limited response to multiple treatments (antibiotics, steroids, apoquel, betafuse gel) our vet recommended several tests, including sensitest allergy test, to establish the cause of his problems. The results of the sensitest showed he had a mild/moderate allergy to most meats and a moderate/severe allergy to several types of grass pollen and house dust mites.

Now we now what's causing the problem we're keen to try and seen if limiting his exposure and contact with these things and taking other preventative measures will improve his skin before we try the expensive and potentially life long monthly injections.

Has anyone any experience with this? He's not on any medication currently but has twice weekly baths with malaseb. We live in an area with a lot of grass, he loves walkies. We have upholstered furniture and mainly carpeted floors, whislt we clean routinely I don't think we're being effective against dust mites. He has hypoallergenic food but I've noticed many brands hypoallergenic food still contain chicken or other meats he's allergic to, we wondered if we'd be better with hydrolysed protein dog food but can't find any.

If anyone can offer any suggestions (especially inexpensive ideas) at all we'd be massively appreciative. Thanks :beer:

I have a cat with multiple allergies, including to house dustmites. I use Indorex household flea spray (from the Vet or cheaper to get a prescription and buy online). This does house dustmites and fleas.

She is now on Atopica, which she had daily and then every other day & in time it will be something she can have less often, it's expensive but for her, effective.

Also, she has some drops in her food 1x a day called Vicutan, available on Amazon, no prescription needed
    (Zooplus have some single protein source foods, all kinds eg Kangaroo, might be worth a look)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,519
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2019 at 4:51PM
    Washing his feet and belly down as soon as you come back from a walk would probably help. Some people use dilute hibiscrub.
    Food wise, you say he's allergic to most meats - are there any he's not allergic to? Can he have fish?
    Is he on antihistamine at all? Dogs can have piriton although you'd need to check the dose.
    You can also get dog shoes which I've seen some people use outdoors when the grass seeds are really bad and the dog was chewing it's feet to shreds. Looks daft but does seem to help.
    Can you upgrade the hoover to one with the hepa filters in - probably cheaper than replacing the flooring.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Zara had horrible allergies and was on Apoquel (when it first came out) for a long time few years ago. I would never use it again, side effects is something she suffers from even now. But at the time it was a "wonder drug"

As she is a 40kg log haired German Shepherd, topical remedies were never an option.

But with your dog perhaps look into this:

https://www.stinky-stuff.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYgPijCFZtcJDZrQY1a4CmgBIyXnDAW4cl3dFzBPPfEv_4gvhEMz9dhoCc6cQAvD_BwE

Google reviews yourself - I heard a lot of great things abut this.

All the best
  • My family had a poodle who was allergic to something, not sure what, but the vet suggested James wellbelloved dog food, comes in fish, if I remember is also hypoallergenic. Best double check though.
    Was also told that the poodle could be given portion, I'd also double check though.
    Decluttering campaign 2023
    2 🏅🏅 + 1 ⭐️
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Have any skin scraped been performed?

Treatment with a topical anti parasiticide may be useful such as Advocate.

If steroids have made a limited difference then i would suggest increasing the diagnostic tests performed. Usually steroids have a profound effect on allergic conditions, so I would look into this further.

Food wise - Royal Canin Anallergenic is useful for determining if an animal has a TRUE food allergy by using a hydrolysed feather protein.

Let me know if you need any more advice.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cant advise food wise as im still in the same boat with my little dog but i have found Stinky Stuff to be a saviour for her skin!! I got the kit so i can rub it on directly, make it into the shampoo or add it into food and honestly its made the world of difference while we try and figure the rest of it out.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Our two westies suffered like this for years.

We had to bath them in Malaseb all the time.

Then I read on the net about adding Full Fat Greek Yoghurt to their food.

I thought oh well anything is worth a try and so I started adding about 2 tablespoons to their food .

It was like a miracle and never had to use Malaseb again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure