Opinions on this PV

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 May 2018 at 5:48PM
    Crowmann wrote: »
    OP - what roof covering have you?

Again the armchair estimators on here continue to think solar prices are falling and will keep on falling.

In truth the competition for business has shrunk dramatically and component costs have stagnated whilst all other costs have risen.

On a slate roof your quote looks OK as a starting point for some negotiation (slate roofs typically add £750 to the install costs), if interlocking concrete I would suggest a target price of £6000.

Below this I belive you will be employing the itinerant cowboy installers that plague this industry.

You keep posting these claims, yet each time folk come along with much better prices than you say. From April 2018:
    Solarshel wrote: »
    After almost getting conned out of £9500, I have managed to find a different company which will install the following for £4500.

14 Eternity 8.33 Solar Panel Modules [Later confirmed as 4kWp]
    Solax Inverter X1

Prices don't need to keep falling, we were seeing around £5k for a 4kWp system back in late 2015 and early 2016. On here we've even seen less than £1k per kWp for larger systems such as 7kWp.

Component costs haven't stagnated, PV prices have continued to fall, or we've seen higher efficiency panels at the same £/Wp, thus allowing larger installs on the same space without a high price penalty. The MIP (minimum import price) imposed by the EU to protect German panel manufacturers, now means that prices here are about 30% more than in Asia and Australia.

Anyone fancy 5kWp for £3.4k?
    A fully installed 5KW system costs an average of $5,930 in Australia, according to the energy broker Solarchoice.net.au. Its records show that the price has roughly halved in many capital cities since 2012.

Edit - Regarding that last statement regarding Australia "the price has roughly halved in many capital cities since 2012." please note that in very early 2012 UK prices were approx £9k for 4kWp, about £8k in Mch 2012, and about £7k by mid summer 2012. So a halving would give us approx £4k per 4kWp. M.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 10 May 2018 at 5:07PM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

Oops - I've just checked the source site referenced in the Mch article and the price for 5kWp systems isn't AUS$5,930 it's actually been updated for May 2018, and is ....... drum roll ...... AUS$5,570, so approx £3,119.

Edit - and the average in Perth is approx AUS$4.6k / £2.5k now that's just silly!

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 12x MCS approved panels:
    Q Cells 315W Mono Q Peak Duo G5 Black Frame

Ofgem approved digital meter
    4mm Solar flex DC cabling
    Access via scaffolding or tower access
    Complete installation including access tower/scaffolding
    Complete installation price

Other items
    1 Growatt 3600 MTL dual Mppt inverter fitted in the loft

Monitoring: from inverter and meter

iBoost Plus connected to immersion heater

£5273
    3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
    30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
    Gloucester
  • Martyn1981
    12x MCS approved panels:
    Q Cells 315W Mono Q Peak Duo G5 Black Frame

Ofgem approved digital meter
    4mm Solar flex DC cabling
    Access via scaffolding or tower access
    Complete installation including access tower/scaffolding
    Complete installation price

Other items
    1 Growatt 3600 MTL dual Mppt inverter fitted in the loft

Monitoring: from inverter and meter

iBoost Plus connected to immersion heater

£5273

That's more like it, a very decent price, especially as those 315Wp panels are probably quite expensive per Wp than say a 285Wp panel.

What do you think, close(r) to jumping?

• hawkwinddotcom
    hawkwinddotcom Posts: 517 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2018 at 5:51PM
    I did ask to be quoted for solaredge but thats not what the quote points to, I have asked for clarification... or am i missing something

EDIT: quote changed to solaredge, same price etc
    Gloucester
  • Crowmann
    Crowmann Posts: 136 Forumite
    Is the loft your only option?

It is the convenient place and obviously out of sight but easily the warmest part of your home in high summer - just when it wants to be in the coolest. Additionally it cannot be read without going into the loft.

If you have an adjoining garage then ideal, alternatively either outside (they are all IP rated) or in a discrete internal place - down stairs toilet?
    16 265w panels South facing, 45 degrees, West Norfolk.
  • I did have a quote for external, but quite happy to go into the loft.
    Garage is an extension and a bedroom, but didn't think of the toilet option

Thanks
    Gloucester
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have my Inverter and Gen meter in my garage and it is always cool. At times my loft is around 45 to 50 centigrade and it does not do your inverter much good.

Although I can read everything production wise through my app it makes it much easier to check the inverter if their is a problem.

If you can get Solar Edge for the same price then I would say that the items you have listed are over priced. Does the Solar edge quote include a three phase inverter and optimisers?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• single phase, i believe.
    All optimizers
    Gloucester
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    My inverter is in the loft and no problems to date. Also means the DC cabling is shorter and no ugly external cables to deal with. My TGM was downstairs until I had the second system fitted when we decided to place both TGMs next to the inverters. Means I need to go up there to read them at four times a year for FiT purposes but any more often is choice. My immerSUN monitor gives me all I need on a more frequent basis (generation, use, diversion, export and import).

Temperature-wise my loft never gets to the sorts of temperatures it did before the panels were fitted. Like it or not they take the heat out of the sun and the air gap beneath them also helps.

I have not measured the temperature (hmm, a project for the summer) but would be perfectly happy to be up there for 20 to 30 minutes sorting through things on even the hottest day, so doubt it goes above about 30 degrees these days. And that of course is a little more inverter-friendly...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure