PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build houses

Options
Today i noticed that there was a development of new build houses in an area i would like to live in . it is due for completion in summer 2018. I have looked on the estate agents website and there is next to no info on it so i was wondering if anyone could tell me
i) Are new build homes priced at more, the same or less than normal homes eg are these new build 3 bed houses likely to be the same or less than the equivalent 3 bed house in area (which i cant afford )

ii) should i try to buy as soon as they are released (assuming i can afford them) or wait a while as i noticed in another new build development homes were being sold about 6 months after they had been completed at less thsn the initial price

Does anyone have any other comments on buying new build homes. My only concern is that it seems to be very close to the railway line. The sign says they are "mews" homes . Im also a little concerned as most of the houses in the area are built before 1910 , i often think more modern houses are smaller and dont look as nice on the outside so worry that they are more likely to loose value

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You are asking people to speculate about properties they haven't seen, which isn't likely to lead to fully accurate info.

However, all other things being equal, a new build will cost more per m2 than an equivalent secondhand property.

Sometimes, new builds are available through schemes which improve affordability for some people. Also, the builder may have to build a certain number of affordable homes, which may be let out via a housing association, so not all neighbours might be home owners.

Rather obviously, a new development won't have 'shaken down' socially, so one can't walk around it and get a feel for the vibes it gives off in the same way as is possible an established one. For example it's maybe impossible to see things like unkempt gardens, litter or parking problems which develop over time, especially once the developer leaves the site.

Add to the above that some developers use contract labour on a piecework basis, where tradespersons who couldn't care less, bang-up the houses as fast as possible, and there is a potential for quality issues too.

Have I put you off yet?:rotfl:
  • Jane_B
    Jane_B Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    New builds will typically cost more than second hand properties based on size, however they might be built slightly smaller than comparative homes (so smaller bedrooms etc.) to make the difference seem less.

In the slightly tougher housing market at the moment, the cost difference is magnified (where I live, a 3 bed, 3 story townhouse, newly built 2 years ago tend to be on the market for £300,000-£320,000 whereas the new build versions of the same home (on the same street) are marketed for £335,000 - £355,000)

You tend to be better off putting a holding deposit down when they first become available, mainly so you have the best options for choosing fixtures and fittings, as the longer in the process it gets, the more will have already been decided.

There are however usually offers on homes they are struggling to shift, usually around xmas, with offers such as stamp duty paid, free flooring, kitchen upgrades etc. However you can try and negotiate for these earlier, you just won't be in a good position.

Despite the many issues I have had with my new build, TW finally came to a generous compensation package so I can't complain too much with the quality. Although our next purchase will be second hand!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, just make sure you keep your head in the game when looking at plans, and what the property will come with, features, parking etc. as these will be important, and you won't be able to see them.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've bought two new builds and had no problems at all. In both cases the builder was a small local company - anecdotally, others seem to have more issue with the "big boys". And both have gone up in value.

You do need to be aware that there may well be a service charge on the estate.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 May 2018 at 11:41AM
    Options
    One big downside of new build developments for me is the houses are far more tightly packed together than they used to be with much smaller and frequently badly overlooked gardens, although I appreciate that wouldn't particularly bother some people.

Proximity to a railway line wouldn't put me off, I've lived close to one before and after a month or two you don't really notice it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Build quality seems to be a big issue on some new build houses aswell.

Smaller, postage stamp gardens, overlooked and poor quality build hmm whats not to like.

TBH most are sold via some scheme or other and I'm not convinced on the open market they are popular.
  • Tumtitums
    Tumtitums Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The website has been updated and it seems that they plan to sell these 2 bedroom homes for the price that a 3 beroom home in the area sell for. Im not sure who is going to be silly enough to buy at this price as there are more spacious 3 bedroom homes available at that price. All i can see to justify this pricing is that they have underfloor heating and a Porcelenosa bathroom. some of the houses may have one en suite. Bearing in mind that they back onto a train depot i just wouldnt pay the amount being asked for :(
  • Tumtitums
    Tumtitums Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    Build quality seems to be a big issue on some new build houses aswell.

Smaller, postage stamp gardens, overlooked and poor quality build hmm whats not to like.

TBH most are sold via some scheme or other and I'm not convinced on the open market they are popular.

apparently they will be available under a help to buy scheme
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport