Japanese knotweed has started

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I believe the next neighbour, I remember they had a jungle last year, all cut back down now before new tenants moved in. A mate mentioned it last year and told me what it was and I said I have never seen it here, just random normal weeds.

Now I have the early reddish leaves growing right next to the wall of the neighbour.
    One thing is for sure, you're not going to get rid of it without your neighbour's help. I'd be v cross in your position.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes they're maps; I'll give them that much.

Unfortunately, they aren't likely to be accurate or up-to-date, though I suppose they show where the plant is more abundant... mainly in areas of high population.

At least it gives the lie to those who say, "There's none in my home area!" ;)

The JK I know locally isn't on there, (I'm in one of those areas that "doesn't have any." :rotfl:) When it comes to Himalayan Balsam, the huge infestations here, which the Environment Agency know all about, simply aren't on the relevant map.

The same goes for Giant Hogweed and American Skunk Cabbage. I know where there's lots of both, but they're not there either.

I'm not having a go; just pointing out that what we see/read is not always the full picture. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I think we know Britain is riddled with the stuff Dave - but I wasnt surprised to see that the areas of our country they state have a particular problem don't include the West Country.

I know I've been told it's there (and I believe them) - but I'd never clapped eyes on it personally until I moved here (where I'm spotting the blimmin' stuff right, left and centre and no-one that gets told they've got it seems to give that much of a damn about it - and are always already aware of it - apart from those of us that have moved here and the vendor lied (ie didnt admit it)/their surveyor (inefficiency presumably) never told them it was in the garden:cool:).
  • Davesnave
    edited 29 April 2018 at 8:18AM
    Options
    I think we know Britain is riddled with the stuff Dave - but I wasnt surprised to see that the areas of our country they state have a particular problem don't include the West Country.

I know I've been told it's there (and I believe them) - but I'd never clapped eyes on it personally until I moved here (where I'm spotting the blimmin' stuff right, left and centre and no-one that gets told they've got it seems to give that much of a damn about it - and are always already aware of it - apart from those of us that have moved here and the vendor lied (ie didnt admit it)/their surveyor (inefficiency presumably) never told them it was in the garden:cool:).

Err....but according to the map, you have none where you are now?

EDIT: ....And I don't think those in Cornwall will be too pleased if you exclude them from the West Country!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Yes they're maps; I'll give them that much.

Unfortunately, they aren't likely to be accurate or up-to-date, though I suppose they show where the plant is more abundant... mainly in areas of high population.

Report your known sites to be added to the maps.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Report your known sites to be added to the maps.
    I will, but it won't make a huge difference if those who are in charge of schemes to reduce these plants/improve the environment don't do likewise. Thy should know much more.

For example, a charity with a bank balance of £2m have been giving grants in my local area for Himalayan Balsam removal, but the sites they have targeted aren't on the map......and it's still there.

Better coordination's probably needed.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to jump on this thread.

I've got knotweed springing up at the edges of my garden (not unexpected:() and my immediate problem is that it's in weed and rubble filled borders that I really want to clear and plant asap. There are hedges behind the borders so I'm guessing I can't use a herbicide. Is digging and sieving the only option?

Turns out the knotweed in my garden that my neighbours absolutely positively with no doubt whatsoever identified as knotweed.... is actually bindweed.

All these emojis: :mad::rotfl::)
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Turns out the knotweed in my garden that my neighbours absolutely positively with no doubt whatsoever identified as knotweed.... is actually bindweed.

All these emojis: :mad::rotfl::)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :beer::j

Neighbours, huh ?! ;)

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Ruski wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :beer::j

Neighbours, huh ?! ;)

Russ

I think they just didn’t want me to sort out my weedy rubble filled borders. Hobbling their gardening competition!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure