Conservatory furniture

Why does it all appear to be craftedfrom wicker / cane? I get that it's lightweight so "ideal" for a warm environment, but even with cushions I find it to be very uncomfortable to sit on. What am I missing?
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We were careful to choose furniture with smooth arms, rather than woven.

Bought out of season, so a a bargain.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We were careful to choose furniture with smooth arms, rather than woven.

Bought out of season, so a a bargain.
    Does it look good? I find it so twee.

But then I am only just waking up to how hot a conservatory can and does get :o

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    This would be why people put lightweight, insulated, solid roofs on them (and LABC be damned :rotfl:)

The ramshackle glass box on the side of my house only gets used for storage and as a tumble dryer replacement in summer, because washing doesn't half dry fast at 50C ambient.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • VfM4meplse
    edited 6 May 2018 at 12:16PM
    I thought I would share my new-found knowledge about conservatory furniture. Firstly, bought new it's expensive so you'd want to hang onto it for a long time. Secondly, the second hand market for sellers is based on luck. It's so bulky that it takes up a disproportionate amount of space. Most people can't give it away because guess what, it costs money to transport / dispose of. Lastly, it's expensive to refurbish professionally, (both the fame and the cushions) so now I'm wondering what next. One way or another, money needs to be spent on it.

Bottom line, even a freebie set is going to cost money unless it's in mint condition. There's a better chance of gaining a freebie sofa that needs no maintenance, so don't even go there unless you really love it!

On that basis I'd rather buy decent seating that will last for years without further time / attention / cost.

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Our sofa and chair are in a 'chesterfield' design, with wicker frames and thick seat and back cushions.

Well comfy.

Not particularly lightweight, nor were they from the cheap end of the market - but we like them and they'll last for years.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Why does it all appear to be craftedfrom wicker / cane? I get that it's lightweight so "ideal" for a warm environment, but even with cushions I find it to be very uncomfortable to sit on. What am I missing?

I guess the open weave is good for ventilation? But then we put cushions on top...
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Mine is made of bamboo from the look of it. Why? Because this is cheap and readily available in the Far East where the furniture is made. The Bamboo would be useless if used outside but is ideal in a conservatory. Why? Because unlike a dark hardwood it will not fade. Also unlike laminated timber there is no risk of heat lifting the laminate. or if some foil finish then lifting of the foil.

Now the comfort part of your question. My furniture has lovely cushions on it and you could easily doze off by snuggling into them.

Now the cost and quality bit. Mine is brilliant here - it was FOC on Facebook. Somebody wanted to move flats so said "free to collector." It all had to be dismantled - but it is allen key bolted crudely together. With some effort it came apart and later went back together.
  • VfM4meplse
    Furts wrote: »
    Now the cost and quality bit. Mine is brilliant here - it was FOC on Facebook. Somebody wanted to move flats so said "free to collector." It all had to be dismantled - but it is allen key bolted crudely together. With some effort it came apart and later went back together.
    Mine was also "gifted" - but is going to cost a lot to get it back to good order :o

Hence I either invest and hang onto it for years, or cut my losses now.

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Does it look good? I find it so twee.

Oops, I have only just seen this!

Yes, it looks good. The cushions are deep and plain cream, so we have put slightly darker throws on them, with cream and duck egg cushions.

You realise I am talking about two different types of cushions here! :)

A couple of ikea lack tables, which are very light and easy to move about make it a super place. To think I argued against a conservatory for years!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure