PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Airfryer or Deep Fat Fryer?

As per the title I am looking for a fryer that will do great chips.

Open to everything that is easily cleaned.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    We got an airfryer, the Breville Halo one, and I'd recommend it every time.
    It makes great chips, wedges, fish fingers etc and without any guilt.

It's also so much safer than a deep fat fryer and so much more versatile.
    The other day I marinated 2 whole, small chicken and just put them straight in. Got lovely blackened skin and succulent meat with no faff. Literally just turned it on and left it for 45 mins.
    I also did cauliflower steaks in it and they were so tasty. As if I'd chargrilled them. I use mine at least daily and is one of my best buys.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I love my air fryer ,just done two pieces of salmon in it.i use mine like an oven. You can heat up things like sausage rolls,I keep small metal trays so I can use them in the fryer.i also use to heat up ready cooked Yorkshire puds.The list is endless.
    We got ours from B&M £39.99
  • What are the chips like? My family like 'real' ones, not oven chips so I need one that can turn ut chips lie the old fashioned chip pan can! We only have them once a week though!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    rosie383 wrote: »
    We got an airfryer, the Breville Halo one, and I'd recommend it every time.
    It makes great chips, wedges
    , fish fingers etc and without any guilt.

It's also so much safer than a deep fat fryer and so much more versatile.
    The other day I marinated 2 whole, small chicken and just put them straight in. Got lovely blackened skin and succulent meat with no faff. Literally just turned it on and left it for 45 mins.
    I also did cauliflower steaks in it and they were so tasty. As if I'd chargrilled them. I use mine at least daily and is one of my best buys.
    I am intrigued by this. But realistically, wondering how often I would actually use one?

I bought a mini-halogen oven for a snip from Robert Dyas a few years ago after my dad recommended it (he uses his full sized version at least 5 times a week). The number of times I have used it? N=0
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    if its just chips you are wanting, air fryer

If you want to be battering your own fish - chip pan

As far as I know and air fryer doesn't cope with wet batter
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    You're right about the air fryer not coping with wet batter. Same as a frying pan wouldn't cope.
    As for the chips, you are not going to get really crunchy, crispy chips as they will only be from deep frying. However, they will be vastly superior to oven chips.
    I also forgot, as someone else mentioned, that it is brilliant for things like sausage rolls, LO pizza etc. It also gives really crispy spring rolls without a load of oil. Corn on the cob works brilliantly too. We do merguez, a spicy kind of sausages which normally stink the house out, close the lid and they cook perfectly with no smell.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • http://www.magimix.co.uk/products/COOKING/Fryer/Pro-350/

This one comes out top in a consumer test but I am still not sure.

I dislike the taste of oven chips so I am unsure if an airfryer is for me. We don't fry anything else really only chips.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    http://www.magimix.co.uk/products/COOKING/Fryer/Pro-350/

This one comes out top in a consumer test but I am still not sure.

I dislike the taste of oven chips so I am unsure if an airfryer is for me. We don't fry anything else really only chips.

I find the taste of airfreight chips to be as bad as oven

We now have a split in our house. Although the deep fryer was replaced with an air fryer, I now have my own little 1L deep fryer so I can have proper chips.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thats the same one I have

I got it a lot lot cheaper in a local shop

I love it because the oil lasts forever and you can store it away
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income