smart meters

My question: My energy tariff expires in 2 wks. I'm happy enough with my present energy provider to stay with them and switch to a new 12 mth fixed tariff - the unit prices etc being reasonably cheap. However terms of the tariff require I have to have a smart meter fitted. I don't want one of these meters. I've read the terms & conditions and am concerned that if I go on this tariff and have the smart meter fitted, but then switch to a new provider in 12 mths when the tariff ends - the new provider can "make things difficult" or even refuse to take me on as a new customer because the new provider will also want me to have a smart meter, when I have one already! Any further info or comments would be welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,133
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Welcome to the forum DonPolo.

I have moved your post to a new thread of it's own.

In what way do you see a new provider making it 'difficult for you' to switch to them?

Smart meters are being rolled out in the future which will be compatible across providers although the current type are not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If another supplier can't use the smart functions on a smart meter, it becomes a dumb meter.

They don't really care what sort of meter is fitted as they all record the amount of energy you use.

We had a smart meter fitted last year with our previous supplier. I didn't to send in readings and it kept my bills spot on. We changed supplier and I've now got to send in readings every month which get ignored so my bills are all over the place.

So which would you prefer?.

In the end its up to you but if you don't want a smart meter then you'll wont get any of the better deals and I suspect that suppliers will increase tariffs for non-smart customers to pay for the additional cost of bill processing and meter reading.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2018 at 9:30AM
    Theres s your answer, simply don t move onto the tariff which specifies the fitting of a smart meter..
    Go on some other deal which is probably cheaper. BG ( I presume its with them ) are not going to change anything just to accommodate you .
    All smart meters are accepted as dumb "credit " meters with every other supplier including Secure Liberty meters. Smart" prepayment meters " however are different. All the suppliers using the Secure Liberty meters as smart prepayment meters will need to exchange for one of those meters at their expense
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I got a smart meter fitted by Scottish Gas, left them and went to a company that required me to go out in the freezing cold and pouring rain to read the meter, which was no more difficult to read than my old meter, left them and went back to Scottish gas and the dumb smart meter became smart again.

Now I don't have to go out in the pouring rain or freezing cold to read the meter.

And I my DD is less than it was 2 years ago and I got over £150 credit back from the non smart meter company.

Get a smart meter, you'll love it.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    matelodave wrote: »
    If another supplier can't use the smart functions on a smart meter, it becomes a dumb meter.

They don't really care what sort of meter is fitted as they all record the amount of energy you use.

We had a smart meter fitted last year with our previous supplier. I didn't to send in readings and it kept my bills spot on. We changed supplier and I've now got to send in readings every month which get ignored so my bills are all over the place.

So which would you prefer?.

The options aren't, as you suggest, have a smart meter and be billed correctly, or don't have a smart meter and be billed incorrectly. You have erroneously extrapolated your specific experience to produce a universal conclusion. The problems you apparently are experiencing have nothing to do with the type of meter, but rather have everything to do with your particular supplier's failure to bill correctly. Lots of us don't have smart meters, but do have accurate bills.
    In the end its up to you but if you don't want a smart meter then you'll wont get any of the better deals and I suspect that suppliers will increase tariffs for non-smart customers to pay for the additional cost of bill processing and meter reading.

There are lots of cheap deals available that don't require customers to have a smart meter. Indeed, there are very few deals that do require a smart meter! Again, what you have said is not born out of the facts.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    r2015 wrote: »
    I got a smart meter fitted by Scottish Gas, left them and went to a company that required me to go out in the freezing cold and pouring rain to read the meter, which was no more difficult to read than my old meter, left them and went back to Scottish gas and the dumb smart meter became smart again.

Now I don't have to go out in the pouring rain or freezing cold to read the meter.

And I my DD is less than it was 2 years ago and I got over £150 credit back from the non smart meter company.

Get a smart meter, you'll love it.

It isn't a requirement to go and read your meter in the pouring rain and freezing cold. It is entirely possible to wait for more clement weather conditions!

You cannot possibly know whether someone will "love" having a smart meter!
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    There is likely to be more of must have a smart meter fitted in terms and conditions in the future.It is up to you if your happy then stay with a suppilier and except the controversy regarding these and have understood the pitfalls then go ahead.

My experience of these was more use in prepayment mode then credit because I could see the credit left on both meters in the kitchen it saved going to the local paypoint British Gas forced the hand by closing their useful home top up service online card/key programmer but for up to date information yes read the meter.The gas meter appears to have around half to one hour delay and the smart monitor doesn't show real time except electrical appliance use.The further I went back say one week one month the inaccuracies became worse.

British Gas appear to have been fitting many smart meters as to be expected here,some have the secure type these appear to be the two main types I have seen.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I suspect that suppliers will increase tariffs for non-smart customers to pay for the additional cost of bill processing and meter reading.
    And that, Ladies and Gentlemen is why I hate energy companies. Smart meters reduce costs for the utilities but it is US that has to pay for them. They will moan about the government heaping costs on them but neglect to mention that they won't pass on the savings incurred as a result of other government policies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure