Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 April 2018 at 5:57PM
    Options
      bspm1 wrote: »
      Maths isn't your strong point is it.
      8.59 and 59 seconds is still 8.59 on the clock . It ticks over 1 second to make it 9.00

I have just seen another post explaining it too .
      make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
      and we will never, ever return.
    • mandy1955
      mandy1955 Posts: 53 Forumite
      First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
      Options
      we are mostly inbound, and we get calls the minute we log in.
    • McKneff
      McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
      Options
        bspm1 wrote: »
        Maths isn't your strong point is it.
        8.59 and 59 seconds is still 8.59 on the clock . It ticks over 1 second to make it 9.00
        make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
        and we will never, ever return.
      • mandy1955
        Options
        Les79 wrote: »
        Can't really make sense of that. But I will say that there are possibilities OTHER THAN spite to explain why this happened.

Well, I'm sure you can guess I used to supervise in a call centre by now....

This has never sat right with me to be fair, as agents should really be paid for the time worked. But this occurs across the board and is not just exclusive to your [STRIKE]call centre[/STRIKE] whatever you call it. It is probably the next big union thing, but until then just suck it up like most agents in most call centres do.

Oh and if you log in 1min early every day for a year, you work roughly 5 days in 7 (per week) across 52 weeks = 260 shifts.

Let's say you get paid above market rate (min wage) and so get £10 per hour, which is very generous unless you're in London.

260 shifts * (1/60) * £10 = £43

Take off tax (roughly multiply by 0.85) = £37 ish

Then again, if you log in 08:59 then do you also track the seconds? If not, your average log in time across the year will probably come out to be 08:59:30. This would mean that, on average, you are probably only working 30seconds of overtime.

So you are probably losing out on more like £18 a year.

Is it really worth making a fuss about for even £40 when you are set to make roughly £21,000 gross in the same period (on £10 an hour)?

In my old place, we would have instantly dismissed the colleague had the client heard the word (or it was picked up on the call recording).

The second case you mention doesn't have context. Did it also happen on a call? Or was it said away from a phone?

hi, neither happened on a call or within hearing of the phones.
      • mandy1955
        Options
        I've seen the exact same thing happen in a contact centre i worked in. Strict virtually unachievable targets were imposed, you were watched all the time. I didn't achieve my targets because I logged in 21 seconds late. Didn't matter if was because the computer was being so slow. Never got thanks for all the times I was on a call after clocking off time and missed my bus! Horrible groups formed because certain people would side with the nasty manager just to protect themselves. It was like school! Everyone felt very unappreciated and just a number used to turn over as many calls as possible. We were asked to do more and more work with not even a thank you. Then they hired new people in on lower pay which caused more bad feelings!
        Is this manager your direct manager? Could you mention the change to her? If that's too akward i would speak to hr. If there is a group of you even better. There are certainly different management styles but being too controlling will backfire. I bet the sickness absence will start to increase soon.

unfortunately she is the only manager we have contact with, and you are right, so many people off with stress at the minute.
      • mandy1955
        Options
        nicechap wrote: »
        You're welcome to rant but I don't think you have much choice but to keep your head down and play nicely. You've not been there 2 years so have limited employment rights, you could be 'let go' next week with no recourse.

Managers are quite entitled to performance manage their staff, and it sound like you've not been performance managed before and the only objective change that you point to is the introduction of new stats.

As other have said, while you are on work premises you need to behave professionally and swearing in the breakroom or regaling colleagues with exploits of a night out can be tiresome and offensive to others.

If you feel there is a genuine grievance, as opposed to just, 'I don't like it', then you will need to raise your head above the parapet and raise it with her in the first instance. Presumably the company has a grievance procedure?

Have the union got nothing to say about matters?

we are not allowed a union as the company said they won't recognise one.
      • elsien
        elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
        Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
        Options
        mandy1955 wrote: »

They may not recognise the union for negotiating purposes but they cannot stop you from joining as individuals. They cannot stop a union from giving you advice. They cannot prevent you from having union representation in any disciplinary hearings.

PS you haven't answered my question about where the stats and the scripts are coming from, manager or new company policy she is charged with implementing.
        All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
      • Browntoa
        Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
        Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
        Options
        Alternative view

Previous manager was LAX and didn't apply the rules

New manager applies correct rules to staff but staff feel they are picked on and are now "stressed"

Any bank or telecom call centres have no swearing , log on before start time rules so it's not unusual
        Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
      • Mika134
        Mika134 Posts: 31 Forumite
        Options
        Firstly, I 100% agree with her rules. I am only 28, but every job I have had has been strict with punctuality - we HAVE to clock in by our shift start time. One minute late gets put down as late and is on our record forever. And I see no issue with that, it takes very little effort to just arrive to your job on time, and is something that is expected if you take the job.

Swearing at work is pretty bad, even in the staff room. And talking about drunken nights out shouldn't be allowed either, you should maintain a professional attitude if you want to work there. I have never been allowed to do these things at my work places, and I never questioned the system, it makes perfect sense. It seems like your place was VERY relaxed and let you off with lots of stuff that most other places would take more seriously.

She is only starting out and probably realises she needs to put her foot down straight away if she wants things to change. Follow her rules but be polite to her, and she might loosen the reins a little when she sees you all acting professional and has gotten comfortable within her role. If not, then sorry but this is how she is going to run the place, if you are not comfortable look for a more relaxed position.

As mentioned, the things she has scolded the employees for are no different to what other jobs would scold people for. And sometimes splitting up friends makes you less chatty and more productive. You can talk about whatever you like outside of your work hours, but whilst there you need to have your head in the job, as it is what you are getting paid for. And if you show her you can follow her rules and take your job seriously, I'm sure she will relax a bit and treat you with respect in return.
      • nicechap
        nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
        Options
        mandy1955 wrote: »

Now you're making things up. If they dismissed you for joining a union they'd soon regret it. Join one that has experience in your market/ industry, and tell them what's gone on. The company will soon take notice if legal letters are sent to them - the unpaid 20 minutes at end of shift for one. You should either be paid for it or get it back as time in lieu.
        Originally Posted by shortcrust
        "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
      This discussion has been closed.
      Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
      • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
      • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
      • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
      • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
      • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
      • 173.1K Life & Family
      • 247.9K Travel & Transport
      • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure