TUI seat selection rip off

Options
We paid to select our seats on a TUI flight to Gran Canaria, so far so good. In the event, the flight was delayed 9 hours (subject of a separate claim), and boarding was so rushed we were told to fill up from the rear regardless of boarding pass seat allocations. During the flight, the captain announced thosee passengers who selected their seats should put in a claim.

Well, we did so on two occasions and both times got the same response which was basically, you paid to select seats X and Y and the seats you requested were the seats you were allocated. The fact that we didn't actually get to sit in those seats doesn't seem to matter! So you're paying to select your seats not to necessarily sit in them :angry:

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am surprised.

I have had similar on two Thomas Cook flights and one (Thomson) TUI flight. Aircraft types in all cases changed and I wrote in seeking a refund of my seat selection and this was honoured and refunds given.

Perhaps try again. Take out any emotion from your letter and simply stick to the facts. If the captain told you to make a claim for unfulfilled seat assignments, that should suffice.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    From TUI website:
    If we do have to change your seat, we’ll try to keep it as close to what you booked as possible. A refund will only be offered if we can’t seat you in a similar position to your original choice*. In such cases, we ask that you keep a copy of your confirmation documents and boarding cards. If you choose the Select Your Seat option but then don’t go on to choose your seat numbers, we’ll still try and seat your group together. If you’re not flying with TUI, we’ll do our best to keep your party together but we can’t guarantee it.
    *Seats together may be across an aisle or behind each other. A similar position means the same type of seat (window, aisle etc) as your original selected seats and within 5 rows of your original choice.
    https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/travel-options

It was their (TUI) decision to seat people fast, which I can sort-of understand in a "long delay, get people on quick so we don't miss out slot" situation but I personally think you should be eligible for a refund.

I'd do as Westin suggested.
    A concise, unemotional letter requesting a refund, quoting the above from their website and the captain's comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure