HELP!! Floor Separating from the wall

Hi
My bedroom floor (first floor) is separating itself from the wall leaving a noticeable gap (see link). Has anyone any advice on this? Why is this happening - too much furniture in the room?? Is my floor about to collapse? My house is on the top of a hill - could this be the reason??? Who in the building trade do i contact?

my builder dot com / my jobs / job / 3431899 / tradesmen-list

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mybuilder.com/myjobs/job/3431899/tradesmen-list

Something up with that link.
  • K-Dot
    K-Dot Posts: 29 Forumite
    Hi Andy. Apologies., It only takes me to the link because im logged in DUH!! I should have known *sigh*
    Try this one:

houzz dot co dot uk / discussions / 5228244 / floor - seperating - from - the - wall - help #22064534
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 8:01PM
    You only need to break the link once. This isn't the Crystal Maze.

http://houzz.co.uk/discussions/5228244/floor-seperating-from-the-wall-help#22064534

Your photos are terrible. Something in focus, but also in the context of the room would be helpful. Please can you put st a wider picture of the wall/room.

Whoever replied to you on Houzz is scaremongering and I'm amazed that is the level of "pro" on that board; suggesting the whole house is going to collapse due to house mites. House mites aren't a thing in this country and nothing happens quickly.
    Subsidence is not common on hills.

Loving the "bespoke" work here:
    https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/1620474/bespoke-shop-shelves-and-counter-desk

How long has this been progressing for? What is the white stuff on the skirting? Do you think it's cobwebs? What is on the other side of the wall?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • K-Dot
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    You only need to break the link once. This isn't the Crystal Maze

Sorry. I'm new to this site and i was desperate for someone to advise.

[QUOTE=Your_photos_are_terrible.__Something_in_focus,_but_also_in_the_context_of_the_room_would_be_helpful._[/QUOTE]

I'll try and get something better posted. I just wish i could post picture on here :(

[QUOTE=Whoever replied to you on Houzz is scaremongering and I'm amazed that is the level of "pro" on that board; suggesting the whole house is going to collapse due to house mites. House mites aren't a thing in this country and nothing happens quickly.

How long has this been progressing for? What is the white stuff on the skirting?[/QUOTE]

I would say around 2 years. But over the last few months it seems to have got worse (i don't know if im imagining it) xx
  • Doozergirl
    edited 18 April 2018 at 8:09PM
    Sorry, I've updated my post, I was talking to someone. The person that scared you produces work like a lower than average DIYer, so let's ignore them.

What is on the other side of the wall? Outside? Bathroom? The photos are really bad but I'm thinking maybe there's some kind of rot. It can shrink wood.

If this is happening upstairs, what is happening downstairs on the floor underneath it?

You can update that thread on Houzz with photos now we have the link.
  • K-Dot
    thanks Doozegirl. So on the otherside of the wall is the outside. I know, im sorry the pictures are really bad. My son is coming back from University on the weekend and i will get him to post more pictures on the site.

The white thing is just a wire. Its fallen into gap :(

Downstairs is concrete. So im not concerned at all about that.

Who should i call in the builders trade? Do you think it could collapse? xx
  • Doozergirl
    If you are concerned then it's a structural engineer you need rather than a builder. If you know a builder then great, but your friend on Houzz thinks he's a pro, and that's scary. Any movement at ceiling height?

The problem is one of three things I can think of at this moment.
    Skirting board shrinkage making it look scary; rot.
    Problem with joists; rot, infestation.
    Problem with outer wall not being tied in and bulging out (but I'd still expect evidence in more that one room/area of wall).

If it were subsidence then I'd expect to see much more movement than that one area too. Is there nothing else? Could any water be getting to that area? Picture of your outside wall, closer up and from a distance would be helpful. Can you see any damp staining/missing mortar/wall bulging?

Things don't readily collapse. The worst that would happen in one go is one joist going; you'd get a shock but it won't be life threatening.

I could really do with better pictures but there is probably something there that needs diagnosing, imo.
  • K-Dot
    I have added another picture now to Houzz. Is that any better? If not please please could you respond to this thread on the weekend after i post more pictures?

If it is a joist - would it be expensive to get this sorted?

The ceiling of the room directly underneath looks fine to me. No bulging at all

Thanks for the reassurance and the advice. You've put my mind at ease a little xx
  • Doozergirl
    Can you push a doorkey into the skirting board? How much resistance is there? As much as you'd expect?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2018 at 1:00PM
    The ceiling of the room directly underneath looks fine to me. No bulging at all
    Is there a corresponding gap between the ceiling and wall in the room below? Has the carpet moved exposing a gap that was always there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure