Not paid for logging in time

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The key is they don't have to pay it just recognise it as working time.

Overnight sleep ins were similar issue.

Why the unions won't make stand on stuff like this is beyond me.

All unions should over this like a rash.

If they can't get the basics sorted where the law is on their side what use will they be negotiating wages.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I used to work in a call center, initially as an agent and then as a supervisor. This sort of thing has never sat right with me to be honest.

BUT, I quite often saw people make waves in this manner and it never ended well for them in the long run:( (though maybe they were just more inclined to making more waves). My attitude was, keep your head down and collect the monthly wage packet. Sure, they were probably doing me out of 10 mins per shift per month (~20 shifts a month = 3.3 hours or roughly £24 after taxes etc) but was that £24 really worth risking a job which was bringing in £1100+ a month?

Not saying it is right, but gotta earn your crust somehow.

Personally, being at my desk 10 minutes before my start time wouldn't bother me. Just sit there with a coffee and a bacon sarnie - but otherwise, it's easy enough to find 10 minutes to skive off during your shift to compensate.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are having to login to 5 or so systems they need to look at SSO / Single Sign On technology, it would save a lot of time and effort.

But it sounds like the type of company that doesn't really care about its employees so won't invest the necessary time and money to do that.

Do you also have to stay behind at the end of your shift if you are on a call? That used to annoy me when I worked in a call centre!
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Options
    Do you also have to stay behind at the end of your shift if you are on a call? That used to annoy me when I worked in a call centre!
    Not half as much as it would annoy me, the customer, if you terminated the call before we'd finished doing whatever it was I was trying to do, because it was the end of your shift.

The only time I've found that acceptable was when I was talking to my late and very deaf mother using Text Relay. It had been a long call, and the operator typing my replies to mum said that she was due to finish work and would we mind handing over to a new operator. No problem there, because the operator wasn't 'involved' in the conversation, just passing what I was saying on to Mum!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Couldn't you just start the logging in process ten minutes before you're due to start and then use that time to make yourself a coffee?
  • Mulder00
    Mulder00 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would just make up the time with a longer break where it wasn't visible if it really bother me, rather than make a big fuss about it.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mulder00 wrote: »
    I would just make up the time with a longer break where it wasn't visible if it really bother me, rather than make a big fuss about it.

The time they log out/in would be recorded by the computer system.

There’s not much “reduced visibility” nowadays.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Options

When I worked in a call centre we would all try to avoid picking up a call in the last few minutes of a shift just in case it was a "long one" and leave the growing call queue for the incoming shift to deal with.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Kiaora73 wrote: »
    Logging in to everything can take 5 to 10 mins every day.

Or 3 minutes maybe? ;)

Being the sort of person I am, I think I'd start having problems with logging in so that even though I'd logged in 5 minutes before the start of my shift, I'd still be logging in 20 minutes later :D
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Or 3 minutes maybe? ;)

Being the sort of person I am, I think I'd start having problems with logging in so that even though I'd logged in 5 minutes before the start of my shift, I'd still be logging in 20 minutes later :D

A fair number of people used to do that.

One person was silly and ended up getting the sack due to it, but it was generally hard to prove for the most part (so the odd one you could get away with).

The person who got sacked had forgotten their password about 8 times within a month (the passwords reset once a month) which was 30-60mins of downtime each time. They sort of shot themselves in the foot by being overheard by a manager about intentionally putting in the wrong password to lock their account. Some agents can put in a lot of though and effort into AVOIDING work which, had they just focused that energy on the WORK, could potentially get them moving on within the company.

There were other ways of subtly getting the agents back, though, not that I partook in anything like that (couldn't be bothered!). You may, for example, find yourself on an unusually large number of early or late shifts when the next schedule of rotas are released. Or your lunch time finishing just before the canteen starts serving lunch food, or the boss being inflexible when you need some time off for an appointment etc.

It is effectively just like a playground! If you go there to play games then you'll probably get caught up in the whole game-playing scenario. As much as I wanted to play games at times as well, I did try and be the bigger person in there and people like you "I'd still be logging in 20 mins later" would be given *some* leeway before the disciplinary process kicked in.

To be fair, I speculate about subtle ways of getting people back but in truth I haven't actually seen any boss do that sort of stuff! For the most part all of the bosses (including me) haven't been spiteful towards any agent in this manner, but I am hypothesizing about how some small-minded managers may respond!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure