Secondment - tell my boss before applying or after getting the job??

Hi,

I am thinking of going for a secondment but am wondering if I should ask/tell my boss first (for permission and to see if they will let me etc) or after I have been offered the post (incase I don't get it and look like an idiot etc)?

The secondment is for approx 1 year and 9 months.

Any views??

Thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    On the whole, I'd tend towards discussing it with them first, that way they can offer advice (if they have any) and also won't do a 'what are you talking about?' if any of the other managers say "what's that Saeed like, he seemed very keen in the interview" or similar.

Also it may open other opportunities, flags up that you're looking for change: you can discuss why you're interested, they may have other suggestions, if it's because you're bored / not challenged then they may be able to offer more where you are.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely any secondment is dependent on whether you can be spared from your current role? So if your boss (or your boss's boss) says you can't be spared, you're unlikely to be able to take up the secondment, even if it was offered to you - which it won't be because you can't be spared from your current role.

In my organisation, you need your line manager's permission to even apply. I would suggest you're going to need to discuss this with your manager.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As above, everywhere I've worked you've needed manager approval to apply for a secondment (but not an internal job) up front. Doesn't mean its the same for you, but does suggest it would be sensible to discuss it with them first.

You may be asked at interview to talk about impact to your current role, manager feedback etc.
  • Definitely speak to your boss.

As others have said you will most likely need their approval anyway, but if you have a decent boss there is a good chance that they will be able to give you a few tips and advice on your application and some info about the new role.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm in agreement with everyone else. You should also bear in mind (and discuss it with your manager) that after such a lengthy secondment your current job may not be open for you when it finishes, so what will you do then?
  • ReadingTim
    I would also suggest it's a good test on how your boss (and your company more generally) values you and your career development. Despite what they say, companies are loathed to move or promote you, as they have to find someone else to do what you were doing previously - they have a vested interest in keeping you doing what you're presently doing, at the wage you're presently doing it at.

A good company and/or boss will encourage you to develop your skills and experience - a better one might even be frank and suggest that there aren't any opportunities for that with them.... in which case you can then think about whether to further your career elsewhere...
  • ReadingTim wrote: »
    Surely any secondment is dependent on whether you can be spared from your current role? So if your boss (or your boss's boss) says you can't be spared, you're unlikely to be able to take up the secondment, even if it was offered to you - which it won't be because you can't be spared from your current role.

This.

I wanted to go on a day course recently, would never have been allowed as no one to spare me for.

Currently had to watch a job I would love to do within current organisation be advertised following an internal move - again unable to apply and would never be considered or released from current role.
  • ReadingTim
    This.

I wanted to go on a day course recently, would never have been allowed as no one to spare me for.

Currently had to watch a job I would love to do within current organisation be advertised following an internal move - again unable to apply and would never be considered or released from current role.

I would suggest that unless you're happy in your current role, this might be a good signal to look elsewhere, as your current employer doesn't seem to place any value in any career development for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure