Correction in progress!

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tokyo and Hong Kong have both opened 2-3% up.

Crisis? What crisis?
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Boston, I'm not sure what you mean by the day you "did" the trade. I don't know how it is in the USA where you are, but in the UK it is like ColdIron says: it depends on the cut off point of your platform, eg with HL it is 8am.

In the US funds will be priced at the end of trading. If you trade during the trading day you'll get the price at the end of the day. With ETFs you can trade during the day and the price is continually change, just like a stock. The times might change with platform in the UK, but the idea is the same.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 5:34AM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    20% is invested in unquoted companies. Comparing apples to pears.
    Indeed, a meaningless comparison as I mentioned in my post. I like pears better than apples, but why does an apple taste best when crisp, but a pear needs to be slightly soft to be really good? That's something I'd love to understand.

also Woodford Equity income down 9.5% from this year's peak and Fundsmith down 5.5% from its 2018 peak. So Fundsmith is hanging in there. My Vanguard US Total Stock Market Index is down 6% from it's peak.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 7 February 2018 at 6:57AM
    also Woodford Equity income down 9.5% from this year's peak and Fundsmith down 5.5% from its 2018 peak. So Fundsmith is hanging in there. My Vanguard US Total Stock Market Index is down 6% from it's peak.

Personally I have a lot of faith, still, in Woodford. I invested in both LF Woodford Equity Income Fund & Woodford Patient Capital Trust from inception and have continued to drip feed on the dips. In fact I've topped up quite a bit over the past few weeks, and indeed the last few days.

Of course I may be !!!!ing in the wind, but it's just part of a mixed portfolio and IMHO they'll come good in the timeframe I need them too.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    U.S. markets closed:

Dow up 2.33%
    Nasdaq up 2.13%
    S&P up 1.74%

Asian markets are currently up too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens elsewhere today.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 10:34AM
    The buy order in my workplace pension has completed and I am pleased with the price achieved on the extra share fund units.

My personal view is we are seeing a wobble of confidence and some hot air release and I don't see why this would get too nasty. I think we might be seeing another moderately disappointing year like 2015. Still, who knows?

Alex
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Woodford Equity income down 9.5% from this year's peak and Fundsmith down 5.5% from its 2018 peak. So Fundsmith is hanging in there.
    Terry Smith might consign that comment to the 'damning with faint praise' bucket.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    JohnRo wrote: »
    I don't think this last couple of days or so will amount to much in the grand scheme but I do think it's a very good thing for newer investors to experience some traffic in the other direction, globally, not really seen since late 2015, early 2016.

It might also be a useful event/time for some to re-assess their real appetite for market volatility and capacity for paper losses ahead of the big one.
    I've had a SIPP since 2014 but only began taking a real interest in 2016 so I'm still a newbie. Yesterday I was counting my blessings as, thanks to the excellent information and help on this forum, I recently restructured my portfolio.

In the nick of time.

Previously it was very high risk. Worse still, I didn't know it. Throughout 2017 I did lots of research on platforms, fees, risk, timescales, aims, volatility, diversification, allocation and funds - often guided by this forum. I sold most holdings, moved money around, and bought only when I felt that I knew enough to do so.

It's been a very steep learning curve and this week is the equivalent of taking my first end of term exam. If I pass then I shall feel sufficiently confident to take 'Investing 102'. I didn't even try to time the market and was fully invested before things began to get choppy. Not such a bad thing as I would now be facing the dilemma of when to invest and I don't think that's a road I should ever travel.

So far the restructured portfolio has held-up ok and the sea of red isn't provoking a headless chicken response. I actually feel quite sanguine thanks to the reassurances I read here. The jury is still out on how I will feel/respond when the real nasty hits the fan but, when it does, I will again take my lead from the knowledgable people here.

Thanks very much guys.:beer:
  • After getting the kick up the a**e after years of dithering to move over to I needed to finally move savings over to S&S, including my LISA (thanks again Alex) - my transfer is currently going through - naturally I'm hoping everything stays depressed for a few months while my funds arrive, and I gobble-up as much as I can on the (relative) cheap!
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 10:33AM
    After getting the kick up the a**e after years of dithering to move over to I needed to finally move savings over to S&S, including my LISA (thanks again Alex) - my transfer is currently going through - naturally I'm hoping everything stays depressed for a few months while my funds arrive, and I gobble-up as much as I can on the (relative) cheap!

You might not be thanking me if it drops further :rotfl:

With your investment timeline investing in S&S versus cash is a very difficult decision remember to focus on reducing risk over time.

Alex.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport