New MOT test May 2018

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    It passed the MOT the other week, with emissions way below the limit.

To be fair, the idle emissions test in the MOT is never going to show faults that occur under speed / load and most of the emissions (proper nasty ones, not plant food!) over a typical car's lifetime aren't created at idle.

Plenty of jurisdictions already fail cars for a lit MIL and they seem to cope just fine with diagnosing and curing them - perhaps it's time the UK trade stepped up its game?
  • Joe_Horner
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I don't like more rules generally, but the HID lights is a good thing. I drive on country roads at night regularly, and some of the lights are gorily awful.

Now if they'd just enforce the rules about using fog lights. . .

Front fogs aren't bad if they're kept properly adjusted because they should have an even lower & sharper cut-off than dipped beam in order to do their job in fog. Why their alignment (when fitted) isn't an MOT point is a mystery.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    To be fair, the idle emissions test in the MOT is never going to show faults that occur under speed / load and most of the emissions (proper nasty ones, not plant food!) over a typical car's lifetime aren't created at idle.

Plenty of jurisdictions already fail cars for a lit MIL and they seem to cope just fine with diagnosing and curing them - perhaps it's time the UK trade stepped up its game?
    It does sometimes seem as if anything that's basically different from that found on an Austin A35 does cause problems for a lot of garages. As you say they need to step up their game.

(I can't find the damn trunnion grease nipples on this Peugeot Partner anywhere!):)
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    Why does the cost of a new CAT write a car off? Clearly it or the sensor isn't performing within specification otherwise there'd not be a fault code. Just because it passes a MOT doesn't mean it is within spec. The shockers on my car have done 127k, even though they pass a MOT and they don't allow the tyre to leave the road when it goes over a bump or pothole I doubt they're performing within spec.

You clearly have no idea mate.
  • cjdavies wrote: »
    Are these the ones that seem to blind you from when they drive behind you? If so, it cannot come quick enough, downside is it will only apply to cars 3 years or older.

That's perfect because that will cover all cars that have them illegally retro fitted mainly the boy racers and amateur car modders as it's these that cause people the problems. They are perfectly legal on some cars, I'm not sure the exact criteria but I think self leveling headlights and headlight washwipe is part of the criteria.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why does the cost of a new CAT write a car off?

If it exceeds the value of a car. For example, a £1,000 cat on a £500 car.

You said:
    Just because it passes a MOT doesn't mean it is within spec

But in post #17 you said
    It is your legal responsibility to ensure that the vehicle you use on the road is maintained and safe and doesn't kill the population of the local town from what it chucks out of the exhaust as it drives down the road

So why should I replace a (say) 95% good cat which has just been tested and shown to be fine? Seems wasteful to me. I would imagine that my cat is in better condition than your shocks, by the way, but your shocks are still good enough to pass the MOT so it's OK for you...
    To be fair, the idle emissions test in the MOT is never going to show faults that occur under speed / load and most of the emissions (proper nasty ones, not plant food!) over a typical car's lifetime aren't created at idle

I agree - but TEST the car. Don't just look for a light to fail it on. I don't know if this happened in GB, but here in NI they introduced a test for diesel cars where the emissions were tested by revving the engine a bit. Some taxi drivers' engines broke, causing uproar. Their engines clearly weren't fit for the road (and probably didn't have a light on!).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You clearly have no idea mate.

Time served apprentice trained qualified mechanic. I have a slight clue....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 January 2018 at 4:55PM
    If it exceeds the value of a car. For example, a £1,000 cat on a £500 car.

Still doesn't write a car off unless you're one of those stupid people who isn't very good with money and thinks that rather than spending £1000 to repair a £500 car whose faults and history you know you're better off getting another car for £500 where you've no idea what is wrong with it or even worse a much newer car where the depreciation in the first year will dwarf that £1000.

As for your comments about the taxi engines the same test applies in the entire UK and your engine failing during it is what happens when you don't maintain your car properly. Change the oil, belts/chains and tensioners when they should be and you will have no problems during the diesel emissions test so again we're talking about people running poorly maintained sheds.
  • Joe_Horner
    I agree - but TEST the car. Don't just look for a light to fail it on. I don't know if this happened in GB, but here in NI they introduced a test for diesel cars where the emissions were tested by revving the engine a bit. Some taxi drivers' engines broke, causing uproar. Their engines clearly weren't fit for the road (and probably didn't have a light on!).

Yes, there's the same problem with the diesel test over here - the sharp acceleration needed, with no load, can break or skip timing belts if they haven't been maintained - with predictable results.

The problem with testing for faults beyond "EML on, there's a problem" is that it can be an almost open ended investigation for intermittent faults (hence many cars driving round with them on). That sort of fault finding belongs in normal servicing, not in a 45 minute, £54, basic test of condition.

The fact that many cars don't see the inside of a tool box from one MOT to the next isn't the MOT scheme's fault ;)
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Still doesn't write a car off unless you're one of those stupid people who isn't very good with money and thinks that rather than spending £1000 to repair a £500 car whose faults and history you know you're better off getting another car for £500 where you've no idea what is wrong with it or even worse a much newer car where the depreciation in the first year will dwarf that £1000.

I think if you ask Churchill the dog he would tell you a car is literally a write off if the cost of repair exceeds the value. Oh yes. What you're saying is perfectly reasonable of course if the car is otherwise good, but that's not what I said. An insurance company would 'write off' the car.
    your engine failing during it is what happens when you don't maintain your car properly

Yes. That's what I said.
    The problem with testing for faults beyond "EML on, there's a problem" is that it can be an almost open ended investigation for intermittent faults (hence many cars driving round with them on). That sort of fault finding belongs in normal servicing, not in a 45 minute, £54, basic test of condition.

Yes - thing is, over here, our MOT stations are government run only, and they only test. So you get sent back to your garage for that fault finding, or not, as the case may be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure