Travelling On

2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
Make new friends, especially locally.
Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
I'm carrying on
getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
MSE wins
Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
Pensions
I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
Online Sales
I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
Change current account
HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
Insurance
I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
French accountant
I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
Tackle French mortgage.
The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
Ability to sell the French apartment?
If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
My mother's house
We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

2023: the year I get to buy a car

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Happy New Diary!!!:j:j:j
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 5 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    A shiny new diary!

I read on the your previous diary about the 'bots' which may result in a thread being deleted. I will have to keep an eye on my diary, just to make sure I don't get infected.

Sounds like you have loads of good things to look forward to, so 2018 should be a good year.

After I retired, it took a good 12-18 months to feel that I'd got my admin and de-cluttering done to my satisfaction. Even when you have the luxury of time, it's still surprising how long it can take to feel everything is 'sorted'.

Norway is very beautiful. If you decide to book the cruise, I will enjoy hearing all about it. There's lots of cruise forums, like Cruise Critic where you can get all sorts of cruise info, and I'll be pleased to help if I can! :)
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Betterthanever
    Betterthanever Posts: 584
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2018 at 4:29PM
    Yay, I'm on page one!

(now I've posted that, I can go back and read what you've actually written.....)

Edited to add I've now read it - and it all looks mighty fine to me. Happy new chapter x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you all!

Looks like Norway is definitely going ahead, my sister's coming over to me tomorrow so we can book it together. We've sorted the trips too. And our Norfolk rellies may be coming with us :):):)

This evening - yep, dragging out my box of accounts papers and having a look.

Have a lovely evening all :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Norway sounds amazing.
    I agree your mum would like you to have a lovely family get together & to raise a glass in her memory.
    This is the first year I did not by myself a wee pressie from my dad & he hasent been here for nearly 7 years.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,824
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy New Diary!! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,824
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Norway does sound amazing... and lovely that 'Norfolk' might be coming too!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• I went to Norway as a teenager and I have never swum in anything as cold as a fjord! I can still feel the shock! It was a lovely place, I do hope your plans to visit work out.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Happy new diary and some great goals there Karmacat!
    Must use my stash up!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure