PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• Afternoon all,

I'm so sorry to hear of all of the heartache facing those along the fence. So many of you facing difficult times, and I wish i could give each and every one of you a hug, a cuppa, and a slice of cake.

Things Chez FPK have been very busy. The first term was a whirlwind but mostly went well. We ate a lot of freezer meals (some weeks everything we ate came from the freezer!) and poor Maggie the Cat has had to adjust somewhat to having very long days on her own a couple of days a week. Still things are cheerful. We're still loving our new location, even in the dark days of winter and have even braved some inclement weather. We're going for our first round of mortgage advice in a couple of weeks. We're not sure exactly how close we are to the actual process of looking, but the wheels are turning a bit faster to finally buy our own home. We may decide to either renew our lease for six months or a year in June based on our meeting.

Unfortunately I didn't go visit mum and dad for xmas this year as I'm in the process of applying for a new passport...a red..or well, maybe they'll be blue now..one. I think I managed a triumph with dad's gift, though. One of those voice activated assistants. Fortunately mum and dad have loads of friends so weren't on their own. OH's dad is doing well, almost finished with Chemo and seems to have mostly fared well, although I think his last few treatments have knocked the wind out of him. He'll get more information in a couple of months but his parents have planned some trips and adventures and I think are starting to feel that things will get back to more normal soon.

On the OS front I've been sewing while I'm off. I've finished a blouse and should finish the muslin for a dress later today. It has been peaceful, quiet and calm. We may be snowed in tomorrow but we've plenty of food and candles.

I'll be wishing you all a wonderful year to come with much joy, as little heart ache as possible and plenty of love and laughter.x
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh FPK, what a lovely post!
    Great news about your FiL.
    The house hunting should be exciting. Probably a good idea to rent for 12 months, takes a while to find the right property and then several months to do the transaction (always takes longer than the estate agent or solicitor says!!).
    Best wishes for 2018 :beer:

I flew home today, 5 weeks after I left for a long weekend :rotfl:
    I was up at 4.30 (who knew there was 2 of those in a day??!), taxi to airport, a really smooth flight that landed early, taxi home, greeted by my lovely DH who set to and made me a bacon butty and a cup of tea. Bliss.
    I had to have a nap late morning but have now rung all my lovely clients and booked them in tomorrow and Saturday. I would really rather have a week resting but needs must! I shall deliver xmas cards and presents tomorrow as well :D

Mum has spoken to their GP and he is on side. He says they can't discharge dad to a care home further away without consent and it is not OK for mum to have to make a nearly-60 mile round trip in her state of health. The Doc is on duty at the cottage hosp tonight so he will pop in on dad. Mum is mightily relieved, at least for the time being.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    BBC forecast for me tomorrow shows us getting an absolute pasting with snow :j:j
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Today would have been dad's 86th birthday :(

All my 'firsts' have come at once, and we haven't even had the funeral yet (it's next Wednesday).

But I'll not dwell. DD and I were going to go to London to see a matinee, but none appealed (one was The Exorcist :rotfl:) and I didn't want the hassle of coming home very late to go to an evening performance - especially as I have trogged around the country on this day for very many years.

So I will reduce the marking pile this morning, probably do one household chore and then DD and I are going out for lunch and then to see The Greatest Showman film about PT Barnum.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 December 2017 at 9:49AM
    Are you beautifully snowed in yet mar?
    My family went onto the mainland yesterday to visit cousins and Pickle had her first experience of snow. The photos DIL took, show her sparkling with excitement.

No snow here, just severe gales and lashing rain and it's still pretty dark. Millie and I are still in bed, she is keeping my feet warm. Well, that is her version, mine is slightly less poetic, several stones of dog draped across your feet renders them numb rather than warm.
    I will get up soon and make some porridge. I make mine with water, very healthy, as long as you ignore the huge spoonful of golden syrup and largish splash of double cream that makes it less healthy but much, much more delicious.

Csarina and Silvasava, I hope you are both feeling better. Look after yourselves.

FPK buying your first home! How exciting is that?

You must be so relieved to be home again MMF it has been a marathon, hasn't it?

VJsmum, I hope that today you enjoy your happy memories.

Hester, enjoy CHS's week off work :D. Imagine that this is a foretaste of what life will be like when he retires.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Every next level of your life will demand a different you.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We've just has a thunderstorm pass overhead Monna. Not sure whether it's headed your way. We've still got the torrential rain and wind. I'm supposed to be driving my mum home (3.5/4 hour drive) later today but have a filthy cold so she's staying another day - hopefully I'll be better tomorrow, otherwise she'll have to get the train and I'll take the rest of her stuff up to her another day.
  • Exciting times ahead FPK.
    Torrential rain here and strong wind here.
    Monna gee thanks, it is something I'm aware of, I just keep thinking of the line from the film Alien, kill me now!
    No engine bay painting today so CHS wants to visit B&Q for a fix of tool !!!!!!, I'm so excited, not.
    For me the day holds the joy of vacuuming, dusting and cooking, more crochet this evening.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just came across this and thought it very appropriate for our group.

Celebrate your successes no matter how small as no one knows but you how much it took to achieve them.

xxxx
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hester, if my memory serves me correctly B&A usually has a coffee shop where disaffected wives, whose heart beats do not quicken at the sight of paint and tools or plumbing supplies, the names of which would surely be blacked out by the forum monitors, (are you still with me? Do keep up) can while away the boredom with coffee and a book.

I think that wins me the trophy for the longest, most convoluted sentence ever.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    monnagran wrote: »
    Hester, if my memory serves me correctly B&A usually has a coffee shop where disaffected wives, whose heart beats do not quicken at the sight of paint and tools or plumbing supplies, the names of which would surely be blacked out by the forum monitors, (are you still with me? Do keep up) can while away the boredom with coffee and a book.

I think that wins me the trophy for the longest, most convoluted sentence ever.

Nope, you've lost me Monna..but I have led a sheltered life ;)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport