Travel credit cards

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    I replaced my Halifax Clarity card after reading of the Creation card on MSE. I had been underwhelmed with the Halifax customer service typically finding very long call queues when trying to get through to them.
    I found the Creation application straightforward and everything arrived promptly. Like a previous poster, I wrongly assumed I was registered for online access and had to call in for assistance to be told I needed to register! I found the person on the phone helpful and then simply registered online myself.
    Happy to recommend them.

Out of interest, why did you have to keep calling Halifax?

I've not had to do such a thing in years!
  • No mention of effect on crudity score. I have good credit but would applying for a card for travel only lower my score. Took out an interest free deal and that lowered my score.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    tomdp2378 wrote: »
    No mention of effect on crudity score. I have good credit but would applying for a card for travel only lower my score. Took out an interest free deal and that lowered my score.
    Scores are meaningless.

A few applications for credit are, on their own, unlikely to be of concern to lenders.
  • Ange_P
    Ange_P Posts: 1 Newbie
    When using the Halifax Clarity credit card abroad, if it is best to pay in euros when asked, what is it best to pay in whilst on the plane... euros or sterling?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ange_P wrote: »
    When using the Halifax Clarity credit card abroad, if it is best to pay in euros when asked, what is it best to pay in whilst on the plane... euros or sterling?
    If the choice is actually given, you can work out which price is the best deal, using the current mid-market rate to approximate what the MasterCard rate will be for that day.

I never purchase anything onboard, but I could imagine using my XE.com app to quickly make the calculation
    Evolution, not revolution
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Ange_P wrote: »
    Depends which airline - they tend to give best deals in their own currency eg GBP on Easyjet and EUR on Ryanair. If you don't know make sure you know the rate before you travel so you can work out the best deal.

But the best way to pay is use cash and a high demonination note in the airline's preferred currency, then ask for change in the other currency! I did this on Ryanair when the rate was 1:1 for GBP:EUR, paid with a 50 EUR note and got about 47 GBP change :cool:
    (of course they sometimes refuse to give change in a different currency - but often they run out so have to even if you don't ask).
  • oatman
    oatman Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2016 at 6:56AM
    I have both Halifax and Creation. I was keeping Halifax for cash and Creation for accommodation. I managed to block the Creation card in a guesthouse in KL. I had to wait to contact them as their lines only open at 8.30 am UK. Should be 24 hours. I was through quickly to an English speaking lady. Not being funny but sometimes i have difficulty understanding these helpline operators.She said I can unblock using pin services while overseas and change my PIN number. So far I've tried 8 different banks to no avail. I sent a "contact us" email using the online form which asked for a mobile number but wouldn't accept my current Malaysian number. My UK number is not much use when I've taken the sim out! They will get back to me within 5 days. Just my first experiences. Good luck happy travels...
  • oatman
    By the way, I've been using Maybank to make Clarity cash withdrawals in Malaysia as there are no charges. Be careful to decline their offer to convert if you want Mastercard rates.
  • oatman
    (Tried to edit title. Carf is same as Card!):DI have both Halifax and Creation. I was keeping Halifax for cash and Creation for accommodation. I managed to block the Creation card in a guesthouse in KL. I had to wait to contact them as their lines only open at 8.30 am UK. Should be 24 hours. I was through quickly to an English speaking lady. Not being funny but sometimes i have difficulty understanding these helpline operators.She said I can unblock using pin services while overseas and change my PIN number. So far I've tried 8 different banks to no avail. I sent a "contact us" email using the online form which asked for a mobile number but wouldn't accept my current Malaysian number. My UK number is not much use when I've taken the sim out! They will get back to me within 5 days. Just my first experiences. Good luck happy travels...
  • oatman
    Sorry I'm confused!

When using lots of these credit cards for withdrawing cash abroad it says you will be charged interest until repaid in full.
    -Does this mean if you don't pay in full as normal or daily until you pay?
    -If daily, do you have to pay all off to clear the cash withdrawal (assuming you've paid by card too) based on first in, first out, or just the amount you've used in cash?

Finally, withdrawing cash on your credit card has a negative impact on your credit rating - is that the same when using these credit cards abroad?

Thank you in advance!

Halifax Clarity put payments against highest interest first. Therefore a cash withdrawal attracts interest immediately. If you pay by online transfer (1st Direct 2 hours) you will clear the cash amount with little or no interest. Your balance of any spending can wait till the direct debit payment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback