12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Comments

• wendz, hope all goes well tomorrow at your 16wk appointment. It's good your midwife is lovely - hopefully she will be able to reassure you somewhat.
    Are you having any extra scans?
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
  • wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Nisha and welcome!

No extra scans, although I'm trying to take that as a positive that they don't think i need any. They have said I can make an appointment with them whenever though so can always make one for a couple of weeks time to fill the gap before 20 week scan which i haven't got date for yet.

Hopefully once I get past the next couple of weeks i will feel a bit better and at least I have Christmas to keep me occupied!
  • Hi Nisha Nice to meet you :-)

I have the antilop highchair from when DS1 was a baby. I honestly dont know why anyone would get anything different (actually I do it's not aesthetically the best looking high chair) but it's cheap, functional and really easy to clean.
    My OH could feel the baby move this weekend so it's really getting strong now exciting
  • hippihaz
    hippihaz Posts: 115 Forumite
    Hello to everyone and welcome to nisha,
    got my 16 wks appt next week - wondering what to expect? do they usually try and listen to the heartbeat (hoping they do!) or does it vary on the midwife? starting to get a mini bump now, although I still think to most people it just looks like I ate too much dinner! Hope everyone is doing ok and good luck wendz for your 16 wk appt too x
  • hi hippihaz,
    I found this to be a handy guide as to what to expect at each appointment..
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/antenatal-appointment-schedule.aspx

So, if you look at the 16 week appointment, it says:

Your midwife or doctor will give you information about the ultrasound anomaly scan you will be offered at 18-20 weeks. They will also help with any concerns or questions you have. Your midwife or doctor should:
    review, discuss and record the results of any screening tests
    measure your blood pressure and test your urine for protein
    consider an iron supplement if you're anaemic

so, they don't routinely listen to baby's heartbeat then. it's because it can be hard to find so they don't like to worry the mother un-necessarily!

hope that helps
  • x_missymoo_x
    x_missymoo_x Posts: 484 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2014 at 9:46PM
    Welcome Nisha :hello:

hippihaz - my 16 week appointment just involved a urine sample, BP and a feel of my belly! She didn't listen for heartbeat because as Aunty-Pickle said, it is still very difficult to pick it up that early on. I was in and out within 5 minutes. I've got my 24 week appointment this week and I think that is normally the first time they start listening for heartbeat.

wendz86 - hope all goes well at your appointment and the next few weeks go smoothly.

Hope you ladies had a lovely weekend - I had a very busy one involving a Christmas party, a dizzy spell and a racing heart :p I'm making it sound more dramatic than it actually was - the dizzy spell was the first (and so far only) I've had and it happened in the car on the way home from work Friday evening. Luckily I was in very slow moving traffic and wound the window down and was sorted within a few moments, it just felt so odd and I have no idea what caused it... I was cold rather than too hot, it was just so bizarre! The Christmas party was really good, I finally managed to find a lovely maternity dress for an absolute bargain at £10 from New Look and some gorgeous sparkly heels, but all the dancing made me so tired and hot, I was drinking ice water all night! I clearly know how to party :o Then the racing heart came that evening when I lay down in bed, I just felt so out of breath and it felt like my heart was pounding, but OH was listening to it and it sounded normal! I know shortness of breath is common in pregnancy, especially in the 2nd trimester so I'm not worried, plus I have my midwife appointment on Weds so I will double check then. Eek, 24 weeks tomorrow and I'm top of the list!! Where has that time gone!?

In other news, I have four days left of work! :j I've still not heard back about whether I can go back part-time, but the fact the Christmas countdown is well and truly on is keeping my spirits high :)

Have you got all your Christmas shopping done yet? I'm nearly there, going shopping Thursday evening to see if I can get the last bits done. So exciting!!
  • hi downhillfast! :wave: How are you and DW? Has her sickness eased? Hope so.

I think she's finally getting over the sickness. Only been sick once in the last week so fingers crossed that's the end of it!

We have our 20 week scan on Friday that we're getting pretty excited about - even though we're not planning to find out the gender it will be great to see how big it's getting!

I'm away at work at the moment and I got a text message a few hours ago saying the baby was "having a party!" hopefully I'll be able to feel it move soon - can't wait! :D
  • Hello all. How is everyone getting on? I am not sure where the time is going - seems to be flying by. Have a terrible cold and not sure what I can take as there seems to be so much conflicting advice out there. My throat is really sore but I read that I can't take strepsils and somewhere else that I shouldn't have honey? Any advice ladies about how to get over it?
  • Hello all. How is everyone getting on? I am not sure where the time is going - seems to be flying by. Have a terrible cold and not sure what I can take as there seems to be so much conflicting advice out there. My throat is really sore but I read that I can't take strepsils and somewhere else that I shouldn't have honey? Any advice ladies about how to get over it?

At the moment I have been making my own lemsips! Paracetamol tablet swallowed and then sip a nice hot water with honey and lemon. Helped me Yday. Also halls soothers are fine :) x

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• Hello everyone!!
    missymoo - hooray for Christmas! It's nearly here!:xmassmile All Christmas shopping done and wrapped and presents distributed to relatives who OH visited a few weeks ago so completely sorted! :j
    Sorry you've had a bit of a rough time recently. Hope the dizzy spell wasn't too scary - at least you weren't speeding along a motorway (I don't mean speeding over the speed limit, just going fast!)
    You obviously need more taking care of!! ;)

Downhillfast - I'm so pleased she is feeling better, that's really good. Have you had any sympathy symptoms?!! My OH hasn't felt baby move yet - I'm hoping he can for Christmas.

ashtray heart - how miserable :(. As if there isn't enough to put with! Honey is fine to take when pregnant. The good ol' Honey and Lemon juice dissolved in hot water is lovely! :coffee: You can use eucalyptus oil for steam inhalations. And of course, paracetamol is safe to take (avoid ibuprofen stuff). Otherwise, it's the age old advice of keeping fluids up, vitamin C, plenty of rest and generally take it easy. Big hugs though.

AFM, suffering from the most painful heartburn - intermittently all through the day and night. It really stops me in my tracks. I have a GP appointment next Monday anyway about my sick note (from the operation) so I think I will mention it then - if I can last that long!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure