We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Moss on Lawn

Options

Comments

• JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Going to try and scarify without moss killer and se how I go. Do I scrape all the moss out? worried about leaving it bauld
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Adjust the height of scarify so the blades are not quite touching the soil as a starter.

You can lower them further later on as you get a feel for how it is going. The lower you go the more moss you will remove but also high points in your lawn will likely get scalped. Thyat's ok, but it will look worse for a good few weeks.

So, scarify in one direction, you may need to rake up and bag the moss at this point - depends how much comes out. Then scaarify at 90 degress to the first direction, then rake up again. You can also go at a different angle if you feel it necessary.

Have a good look at the lawn, lower the blades to just touch the soil if more needs to come out, go a bit more carefully, you can back up your scarifier if it starts to catch the soil too much. Follow the same routine, and see how it goes.

It could look a bit rough for a few weeks.
  • JEN22
    Options
    I don't have a machine. I was going to scrape the patches of moss with a rake. Is this ok?

I know it will be hard work
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. It will be hard work, as you say, but a good workout! The more you get out the better, the worse it looks, the better it will be. If parts get very bald, you can always buy some seed.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I used a product called MO Bacter on my lawn about a month ago. It breaks down the moss slowly rather than just killing it so no need to remove dead stuff. There's now not a trace of moss and all I had to do was apply the stuff once. My neighbours have all bought some to do the same.
  • JEN22
    Options
    Ok I will try some MO Bact. How do you spread it about. By Hand?
  • shortcrust
    edited 27 April 2018 at 10:21AM
    Options
    JEN22 wrote: »
    Ok I will try some MO Bact. How do you spread it about. By Hand?

Yes that's what I did. I just weighed out roughly the right amount for the lawn size and threw it about as evenly as I could!
  • LessImpecunious
    Options
    Personally I prefer mossy lawns - I find them much more comfortable to lie/sit on and nicer to look at; plus they host a lot of beneficial wildlife - I don't understand why people are obsessed with getting rid of moss - I bet if moss was hard to grow and grass was easy to grow we'd all be trying to get rid of the grass and replace it with moss!
    Agreed! Plus, the more moss, the less the grass grows, in my experience, which means saving on (time and money!) cutting the *$^&£*$ stuff!:D
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a good idea to aerate the lawn afterwards too - to help reduce regrowth of the moss - using a pair of these https://!!!!!!/2FqYO1u or one of these https://!!!!!!/2HZwfNH !!
  • shortcrust
    Options
    I like a mossy lawn but I'm not so keen on a field of moss with the odd blade of grass!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback