Dyslexic -,didn't get job due to spelling

124»

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Doesn’t solve the problem at all, it merely helps you to deal with the problem. My glasses don’t solve my shortsightedness, they merely aid me- it’s the same principal.

I’m dyslexic and auto correct was my friend making this post.

And you will know that auto correct did not find the error at the end of your first paragraph. I don't say that as a criticism, simply an observation of how spell-checkers and auto-correct are not perfect.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    And you will know that auto correct did not find the error at the end of your first paragraph. I don't say that as a criticism, simply an observation of how spell-checkers and auto-correct are not perfect.

I don't think perfection is a requirement, but spelling errors that the average person would pick up will cause job hunting to become that much more difficult.

The issue here is more the spelling i gather, and spell check is your friend.

No aiding software was used in the making of this post.:money:
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't think perfection is a requirement, but spelling errors that the average person would pick up will cause job hunting to become that much more difficult.

The issue here is more the spelling i gather, and spell check is your friend.

No aiding software was used in the making of this post.:money:

Spell-check is a friend but was the spelling error I mentioned one "which the average person would pick up" or would it not be a problem?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spell-check is a friend but was the spelling error I mentioned one "which the average person would pick up" or would it not be a problem?
    Sadly I'd say that the 'average' person would not pick up on

stationery / stationary
    principal / principle
    license / licence

and even in some cases
    to / two / too
    their / they're / there

And so on.

But I would, and in my work it would matter. For most of my colleagues, it wouldn't.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Sadly I'd say that the 'average' person would not pick up on

stationery / stationary
    principal / principle
    license / licence

and even in some cases
    to / two / too
    their / they're / there

And so on.

But I would, and in my work it would matter. For most of my colleagues, it wouldn't.

Even with dyslexia I know the difference with those. Spell checker may not but I do.

If I can see the word then I know if it’s rigjt , it’s just getting the word at the start , hence I always have another tab open and play around
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Agreed, muddling homophones up (their/they're/there and the like) isn't really the issue in dyslexia it's a lot more complex than that.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    w06 wrote: »
    Agreed, muddling homophones up (their/they're/there and the like) isn't really the issue in dyslexia it's a lot more complex than that.
    I'm aware of that, but I was picking up on a specific question about what the average person would pick up, and how much it mattered.

And in some lines of work it matters more than others (and it surprises me how many people don't know that cars are stationary and pens are stationery!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I agree this does not add up.

A rejection would have been a usual "I'm sorry you have not been successful in being put forward to interview stage" type sentence.

Spelling errors would not have been cited.

Did they reject you OP, and you just assumed it would be down to Dyslexia?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I'm aware of that, but I was picking up on a specific question about what the average person would pick up, and how much it mattered.

And in some lines of work it matters more than others (and it surprises me how many people don't know that cars are stationary and pens are stationery!)

Purely hypothesising but I wonder whether folk who know that they are dyslexic would be less likely to make those sort of mistakes - or at least to leave them in without editing - because they're very conscious of the need for writing to be correct. It's difficult in an evolving language too, where what was rigidly one spelling becomes accepted as another a decade or two later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure