PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wondercollie we stayed in a lovely country house hotel near Grantown-on-Spey on Speyside called Tigh Na Sgiath and would certainly recommend that.

Otherwise what we found was that if you are driving on single track roads then reckon on a lot less mileage per day if you don't want to arrive exhausted. We only had one night in most places apart from Fort William. Not the prettiest town (understatement) but good location for seeing Glenfinnon viaduct (the Harry Potter train), Glencoe (awesome, in the literal sense) the Caledonian Canal and Ben Nevis
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Fort William is a very depressing wee hole - and that's being polite lol
  • pandamonium
    Options
    I started reading and was quite jealous of those who had a good storm last night. We only had a few flashes and I do love a good storm. After reading of the storm tragedies on here I think I will have to be a bit more respectful of the weather.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 7:12AM
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    As can I. My mother was Welsh and my father - whichever of the two candidates was actually my biological father - was Scottish.

Errr...yep....

I didnt believe the person here (yep...Wales....West Wales...) that told me there are people that will carry a grudge until death and it may even get "inherited" by the next generation.

To me - it's just so illogical and one of the worst things anyone can say about another person imo is that they're illogical. If I thought I was someone that "held a grudge" it would go onto the self-improvement list of "things I must get rid of" - along with "lose 2 stone weight", get shot of a loan I had to take out for home improvement, etc, etc

The topic/s that I am looking for ways to "change the subject" from are ones that never arose back in England - but can I get anyone to see that their personal opinion is just their personal opinion and not a "Fact set in stone"? Can I heck?:rotfl:Hence the need for ways to change the topic of conversation fast any time anyone starts in on a couple of topics of conversation....before we're down that well-worn road yet again...:cool: and risk of someone "holding a grudge" - duh...

I don't see it myself - I guess because my father is just "so" archetypically English and brought me up to think "fair play" and logical thinking are huge virtues. I would argue that he brought me up to know they are huge virtues.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Fort William is a very depressing wee hole - and that's being polite lol

Yes, I think I expressed the less polite version to DH. Think of any town ruined by 1970s planners , double it and plonk it right in front of a beautiful lochside
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can imagine that on the front of the tourist information brochures Mardatha "Fort William - A Depressing Wee Hole" :rotfl: Reminds me of the one they did of Morecambe one year, so short were they of actual attractions in Morecambe, they ran with the byline "Morecambe - Gateway to the Lake District".

I've had a bit of a revelation here thanks to a co-worker. I've struggled for years with bras, 34f with a small ribcage and high set boobs means buying them is a nightmare. She directed me to a brand of sports bras, and it's like I'm in another world. Yes, I only have 1 boob now instead of 2, but I still have cleavage and more importantly they are mostly cotton, have zero irritating seams and I'm home from work after a day of wearing it and have no urge to rip it off. Comfort is the key word. I'm going to buy 3 and burn my underwires, !!!!!! it!

Monna, given the incidences of lightning strikes, I'll assume you won't be putting up a weathervane any time soon.

Greenbee, you're on your own with the logs, sorry. And after seeing a few chainsaw injuries at work, you're on your own with that too :eek:

MaryB, I'm fairly practiced at grudges. I'll never forgive a few girls from school and remain optimistic that one day I'll see their downfalls :rotfl:

VJsmum, I'm not 5:2ing yet, I'm still doing the BSD, I have a couple months more of that, then I'll 5:2 for maintenance. I know what you mean about weighing in though, when I finally plucked up the courage it was a shedload more than I thought :o
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know Scotland all that well but have visited it a lot over the last 30 years. Had a friend who lived in The Isle of Harris for 20 years and in Thurso for a number of years so she took me around and about. I do think that Scotland has a unique beauty that contrasts dramatically to the rather cosier landscape I live with. Yes there are hideous exceptions in all places where the "improvers" have been let loose but travelling anywhere demands that we adjust our ideas of what beauty as we go. Scotland's beauty is not comfortable but wild and majestic and a bit disturbing. I always come away feeling quite small and insignificant.

This is a bit deep on a Monday morning.
    I have to be up and doing quite shortly as DS2 has threatened to come and sort out my garden. Whether that will happen or not we will see. As I explained, he is Irish and well meaning, but not 100% (or even 10% if I'm honest) reliable.
    Anyway, it would be nice to be able to hang the washing out without having to hack a path through the undergrowth to get to the line.

Hope the week starts well for everyone.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If poison is past its sell-by date, does it become more poisonous or is it no longer poisonous at all?
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a quick note before we leave this morning. Thanks for your suggestions MrsL - after I posted I did have the thought of petals rather than flowers too!
    Monna - my mum was terrified of thunderstorms as she'd twice been in houses that had been struck by lightening.
    MoneyTSTM - how about the phrase 'Moving swiftly on' said with a smile??? I once worked with a lady who was regaling us with atrocities committed against her clergy - when we said we'd seen nothing about this in the news it turned out she was talking about the dissolution of the monasteries and was totally unaware that it happened in England too!!! I'm always minded of a song from South Pacific - You've got to be carefully taught.
    Will be MIA for a few days so hope the weather stays kind for all and you lot don't give me 15 pages to catch up with!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 8:57AM
    Options
    Softstuff wrote: »
    I can imagine that on the front of the tourist information brochures Mardatha "Fort William - A Depressing Wee Hole" :rotfl: Reminds me of the one they did of Morecambe one year, so short were they of actual attractions in Morecambe, they ran with the byline "Morecambe - Gateway to the Lake District".

I've had a bit of a revelation here thanks to a co-worker. I've struggled for years with bras, 34f with a small ribcage and high set boobs means buying them is a nightmare. She directed me to a brand of sports bras, and it's like I'm in another world. Yes, I only have 1 boob now instead of 2, but I still have cleavage and more importantly they are mostly cotton, have zero irritating seams and I'm home from work after a day of wearing it and have no urge to rip it off. Comfort is the key word. I'm going to buy 3 and burn my underwires, !!!!!! it!

MaryB, I'm fairly practiced at grudges. I'll never forgive a few girls from school and remain optimistic that one day I'll see their downfalls :rotfl:

I gave up underwired bras some years back now - as I just found them so uncomfortable. So, when I read that they are a health hazard too - that was it - they were gone. I buy "normal" bras still - but not of the underwired variety.

Re seeing someone's downfall - my long-term memory is so poor anyway that I'd not remember their names/faces if I wanted to for that:rotfl:.

Someone really upset me recently and I was livid as hell with them for their sh*t-stirring. I've found out exactly who they are/that they have "form" for this/etc and was all set to think "They won't know where/they won't know when - but they are going to PAY for that if I get half a chance".

But my way of thinking (ie reincarnation and all that taken as an absolute fact by me) means that the thought struck me that they will be paying anyway at some point. I don't have to make them pay. The Universe will do it. They've mis-used something to sh*t-stir against me. I found out who they are/that they have "form" for this and was livid with them and thinking along lines of "They won't know where/they won't know when/but I will make them pay for that if I see the chance". Then I realised exactly what would be appropriate karma for what they did and that the Universe will "present them with the bill" to pay for their actions and exactly what that bill will have written on it and they will doubtless be paying for years (ie something due to happen to them in this life or, more likely, next life). At that point - I felt quite calm and peaceful - knowing I don't have to deal with this/I've "put in request to the Universe to make sure they do get that bill" and I can forget it and move on with my life. For my part - if I see them again - I'll steer clear of them and "rescue" anyone else that might come on the receiving end of their "chip on shoulder" they have. But I don't have to do anything/won't bear a grudge (as there's no point).

So - my mind is clear and "Why would I hold a grudge now then in those circumstances?".
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've finally caught up with the thread :j

I don't bear grudges. Life's too short.

On the other hand, I know someone who does, to the extent that she cuts off her nose to spite her face. (Hasten to add, I don't mean anyone on here! It's my late brother's wife.)

We were lucky and missed Saturday night's storms - they had cleared by the time we got back to Gatwick.

Nice to hear of people's gardening exploits. I didn't manage any weeding yesterday as i was too zombiefied, but had a good sleep last night so will get rid of the alkanet and the dandelions today, though the dandelions won't be gone for long, of course.

We came back to find the magnolia tree in bloom and the bluebells out, so that was a nice welcome :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback