Washing trainers

Hi guys,

As above, need to wash a few pairs of my treads that are a bit worse for wear after the long winter... recommendations?

Talk to me :D

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Put them in a pillowcase, tie the pillowcase and put them in the washing machine.
  • comeandgo wrote: »
    Put them in a pillowcase, tie the pillowcase and put them in the washing machine.
    On a nice low, 30's wash? Just with the trainers I'm guessing?
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, I'd do it at 30, I don't like hearing the trainers thumping against washing drum so I will add something, a few of the dogs towels or something to cushion the noise.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    When I wash my trainers, I do it with plenty of washing, but not a full load. I find the clothes bashing against the trainers helps clean them better than a nearly empty load.

Don't go above 30c, as you may melt any glue on the trainers. If your trainers are primarily white, use a scoop of Oxy from Poundland - this really helps trainers to dazzle!
  • There is a product I bought in Tesco's think was Punch brand not sure. It came with a mesh zipped bag and 4 small bags containing the washing powder mix. So was enough to wash my Sketchers White Trainers twice..cost around £3..you put one of the sachets in each shoe then zip the trainers in to the mesh bag...the instructions said nothing else in with the wash including other items, powders or fabric softener...I have just done mine again and dried them in the lovely weather last week..they came up like new and they are now 3yrs old..the fabric conditioner will cause the glues etc to fail.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wait til I have two pairs to wash.
    4 shoes don't seem to bash around much in the machine.
    Just the trainers, no clothes, no mesh bag.
    And a small amount of detergent.
    Low temp, high spin speed
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Have you considered hand washing them?
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    R6sue wrote: »
    fabric conditioner will cause the glues etc to fail.
    I didn't know this and I often use fabric conditioner when washing my trainers. I shall substitute the conditioner with a little white vinegar in future.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I like giving them a brief soak in detergent solution before putting them in the machine to guarantee they are first wetted by detergent, rather than by just plain water as typically happens in the machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure