Late filing penalty

Hi

I've just finished my first year operating as a limited company. My accountant has been charged with filing my accounts to companies house.

There is a dispute between both of them as I've been hit with a £150 fine for late payment. I spoke with accountant and he said it was filled well in advance of the time limit. He contacted hmrc who told him he would have to pay and then appeal to get his money back.

Meanwhile, I've now got a letter from a debt recovery agency.

What does this mean for me in terms of my company and also myself in terms of credit rating etc?

My service with accountant d that they would handle the filing for me.

What do I do here? Accountant has said he paid the fine and get I'm getting harassed by a debt recovery agency.

Comments

• fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    I think the starting point is proof of filing - it is easy for an accountant or anyone else to say they did something at a certain time.

If he has also paid the fine, ask for proof of that also.

Then you have your paper trail and a true picture of events and dates.

Secondly, make sure an appeal has been files asap -that is assuming the filing was on time.

Third, personal opinion, I would pay the fine, it isn't a great deal of money, to get the debt collectors and HMRC off my back. I could then concentrate on sorting out the filing.
  • My tax year end was altered by accountant and books submitted in accordance with new date.
    HMRC still believe it should have been done by original date.
    Accountant had sent cheque for fine, but it was not cashed. They will be absinthe a transfer on Monday.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My tax year end was altered by accountant and books submitted in accordance with new date.
    HMRC still believe it should have been done by original date.
    Accountant had sent cheque for fine, but it was not cashed. They will be absinthe a transfer on Monday.
    so what is the point you are trying to make?

accountants do not change year end without good reason, what was it in your case? If HMRC have failed to react then leave it to your accountant to sort out, they should be rather good at that.

perhaps it would help if you check your words before posting. You still have not explained where the delay came from.
  • 00ec25 wrote: »

accountants do not change year end without good reason, what was it in your case? If HMRC have failed to react then leave it to your accountant to sort out, they should be rather good at that.

perhaps it would help if you check your words before posting. You still have not explained where the delay came from.

Who pished in your cornflakes?

What does this mean for me in terms of my company and also myself in terms of credit rating etc?
    If HMRC have failed to react then leave it to your accountant to sort out
    My service with accountant d that they would handle the filing for me.

You can pull me up on the typo here if you want to be a real nazi.

perhaps it would help if you check your words before posting.
    Was on a mobile. This is an internet forum, we are not writing regulatory requirements for preservation of human life.
    You still have not explained where the delay came from.
    That is for the accountant to resolve.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Was on a mobile. This is an internet forum, we are not writing regulatory requirements for preservation of human life.
    agreed, nor are we able to answer questions written in gibberish
    then you have your answers:
    a) see first line of post #2
    and
    b) "That is for the accountant to resolve."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business