CV writing services - Any good?

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    The Google Digital Garage in King Street Manchester is offering free sessions in building Cvs and writing covering letters.

I've just signed up for this so I'll go see what it's about.

I'm considering using a CV writing service.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • I decided to take the jump and use a CV company. I did have to pay a ton but I thought their recommendations from all sorts of people on LinkedIn was worth the risk.

Prior to using them my CV was ok, but they highlighed some key issues, firstly I was focusing far too much on the technical skills rather than allround skills and I also waffled a bit. The new CV they made came through after a week and several calls/emails between us.

With my old CV I would be lucky to get 3/4 calls or emails a month. I've used the new CV fir 3 months and I'm still getting bombarded with calls and emails. 3 emails and 2 calls today alone and this is a quiet day.

The new CV doesn't look that special, in fact it's probably less fancy to look at now than before. However it's been effective and that's all I care about.
  • stclair
    edited 27 February 2018 at 11:23PM
    I decided to take the jump and use a CV company. I did have to pay a ton but I thought their recommendations from all sorts of people on LinkedIn was worth the risk.

Prior to using them my CV was ok, but they highlighed some key issues, firstly I was focusing far too much on the technical skills rather than allround skills and I also waffled a bit. The new CV they made came through after a week and several calls/emails between us.

With my old CV I would be lucky to get 3/4 calls or emails a month. I've used the new CV fir 3 months and I'm still getting bombarded with calls and emails. 3 emails and 2 calls today alone and this is a quiet day.

The new CV doesn't look that special, in fact it's probably less fancy to look at now than before. However it's been effective and that's all I care about.

That's good to hear the issue I'm having is I've worked for the same company 15 years. I bullet pointed everything I've done and I ended up with over 70 bullet points lol

Plus I would like to ensure my cvs ATS readable. Which company did you use?
  • stclair
    I was wondering has anyone ever used purple CV before? Wondered what people experienced are with them.
  • Also looking for cheap service... Can anyone help me??
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Also looking for cheap service... Can anyone help me??

Use a quality service - not a cheap one. It's a small price to pay given the increased interest you should receive.
  • mpincho
    mpincho Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 June 2018 at 6:45PM
    If you are an IT professional.

You can try Sprint CV .com
    You will be guided through a step by step wizard that will ask to insert all the details of your professional experience.

From there you will be able to generate your IT CV in docx in multiple templates used by the industry/big clients. The best part is that your CV will be always up to date, because the system recalculates in a automated way the number of years/months all your IT experience per technology, industry and/or roles.

Good luck
  • I've made my CV with Immigrant School. It costed me £30 and was done in 2 days. I liked it cause they were very efficient and focused. I sent them my CV and they came back to me to book a call. They called very well prepared, with a long list of questions regarding my work experience. The whole conversation lasted around half an hour and made me think very deeply on my career. After 2 days, they sent me the CV, together with some specific recommendations from their HR expert. Since then, I applied for jobs and received many calls and emails from recruiters.

The best part is that I could talk on the phone in my native language, and they understood all the cultural and systemic differences between my country and UK. Believe me, it's a pain to understand what's the educational equivalent of what you studied back home or which of your experiences is considered an achievement in the UK.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    You have amazingly good written English, using correct form of it is contracted and shortening because very naturally. I!!!8217;m surprised you need someone else to write your cv, though I suspect you are really trying to advertise your own company.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Thank you for the compliments. My general English is so good than you suspect me for advertising :)))) I'd wish to be true, and to not need anyone to write it, but my technical English was bad. My background is in engineering, there are loads of words from my field that, in those times, I didn't know how to say in English. Plus, I was afraid of grammar mistakes and weird phrasing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback