Virgin charge for missed calls!

WolfUK
WolfUK Posts: 84 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi

I have been changed £1.20 x17 for calls missed when I was in the USA. I did not answer any of these calls but Virgin said that as I “received” these calls they are right to charge me.

This is the first time from any mobile company I have had this issue is this right? Have others had this issue?

Richard

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    WolfUK wrote: »
    Hi

I have been changed £1.20 x17 for calls missed when I was in the USA. I did not answer any of these calls but Virgin said that as I “received” these calls they are right to charge me.

This is the first time from any mobile company I have had this issue is this right? Have others had this issue?

Richard

If you're roaming and have a divert set, the call bounces back to the UK to your answerphone.

Here's an explanation (on the EE website, but same principle)
    If you leave your voicemail turned on when you roam abroad outside the EU, any missed calls you may get, the caller will be diverted to your voicemail as normal. However, as the voicemail platform is located in the UK, when roaming with your handset outside the EU, this in turn will always generate an international call back to the UK.

Those calls to voicemail you are seeing on your bill are these automatic diverts.

It's always advisable to turn off your voicemail when roaming to stop this from happening.
    ====
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2018 at 9:32PM
    D123 is right, you need to cancel all diverting before roaming else you incur these charges.

The network has bounced these calls to the US then back your voicemail hence the charge.

I suspect your best bet is to ask a CSA very nicely to waive them on a one-off basis, (providing you're not on record for having kicked off about them already).

Otherwise, the charges are legitimate and will stand, no matter who considers them.
  • WolfUK
    Thanks for the replies. So even if no voice mails are left and it!!!8217;s just a missed call I will get these charges?

I did have voice mail turned off hence I!!!8217;m confused
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 5:57AM
    WolfUK wrote: »
    I did have voice mail turned off hence I!!!8217;m confused
    If voicemail and any other diverts are disabled and you miss or reject incoming calls while roaming, there should be no charge. Unless Virgin are doing something very underhand. I think you need to check into it further.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just a thought - don't confuse "voicemail being disabled at the network" with "call divert to voicemail" being enabled on the call forwarding setttings. I'm guessing under call forwarding settings, it's still dialing whatever the voicemail number is (even though it probably then cuts off since the voicemail itself is disabled). I sometimes divert all calls to my work mobile, even though underlying voicemail is still enabled.

I'd go for asking them to waive charges, on the basis that both these are their network settings.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • WolfUK
    I guess I will have to call them back just wanted to check if I was right. Even on there Roaming page it says s you won!!!8217;t be charged for left voice mails too so I think there must be a mistake.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/200300000001000/article/HELP-2562/Roaming
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A few years ago, the EU banned all charges for receiving voicemail while roaming within the EU.

Some but not all networks have extended this to roaming anywhere.

On some it might, or perhaps used to, depend whether the forwarding is for all calls (for instance you divert before leaving the country) or conditional (on busy, not available, etc).

But that page you've found seems to indicate Virgin say they won't charge, without any qualifying comments, so I think you would be right to discuss it.

However, it's worth checking, were your calls diverted to their standard voicemail, or condionally diverted to some other number, another voicemail system, or another mobile or VoIP account?
  • WolfUK
    Little update Virgin have admitted that their wording and policy is confusing. If Found after an internal investigation that this is indeed correct across company they would look at reimbursing everyone for these charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure