How to raise a concern with my manager?

13»

Comments

• yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Taiko wrote: »
    Hoping for some general advice here, on what is a little bit of an odd situation.

My team are getting a new member of staff shortly, and the candidate has been selected. A few weeks ago, my line manager had emailed me the application forms for two candidates and asked me to print them off, these contained names/addresses. Being a pretty stable team (no new staff within the last few years), curiousity got the better of me and I had a brief skim of these. Names etc couldn't really be helped as they were the first bit on the form.

In a quick Google search of the person being offered the position, it brought up a deleted LinkedIn page, but the 3rd link was a newspaper article from October 2017. This has the candidate, whose address I remembered as it's close to me and a relatively unusual place to recruit from for the role, in a court article, showing they had been convicted of assault and fined in October 17. I don't believe this was mentioned on the application, and I was not part of any interviews at all. The fine was several hundred pounds.

My questions therefore are:

- When would this likely have been considered spent? Own searches suggest one year, but I'd like to check that I've interpreted correctly.

- Assuming this is not spent, it would appear they have then lied on their application. Given that I probably shouldn't have seen this information though, could I even approach the manager with a concern?

Wow...You are something else. You clearly lack emotional intelligence and you have to be one of the most low down nasty people I have ever come across. You clearly don't know how to behave in a professional manner.

Your manager asked you to do somrthing, yet you took it upon yourself to not only read and digest peoples personal information, but you even went as far to even do a Google search!!!!

What you done is not only out of order, but shows what type of person you really are.

You sound crazy, petty and quite frankly I hope your bosses see your post and deal with you accordingly.
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think you should be googling these people and researching their past. Ok even if you did get curious, you don't know the whole story. There could well be thieves, child abusers, wife beaters working with you / living down your street and you just don't know it.
    It's up to the person applying to be honest in the application and for the hiring manager / hr, to make the relevant background checks. This candidate could be an amazing worker and you might really hit it off. Everyone screws up sometimes and he / she deserves a chance.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    07Rogers wrote: »
    As someone how has a criminal record and been on the receiving end of been in employment for 8 months and got the sack when someone grassed me up to the boss for having a criminal record and was sacked because I didn't declare it in interview it's sucks and I have done my time and you still get punished over it.
    The law changed a few years ago which was a god send because it means my conviction is now spent and don't have to declare it now, if they ran a CRB basic nothing would show but a enhanced CRB will.
    You know nothing about this bloke and could be about to destroy his life by mentioning it to the boss also his past has nothing to do with you and its up to the company to do these checks. Try putting yourself in his shoes and think okay he's made a mistake he's been punished and still getting punished do you think this is fair?

You weren't sacked for having a conviction per se though, you were sacked for not declaring it. And it may well be that if you'd declared it you wouldn't have been given the job, and I agree that spent convictions were a good thing, but if you tell fibs on the application form and get found out it's always going to come back on you. I've employed people with a criminal record because they were open about it and could explain the circumstances and convince me it wasn't relevant to the role. But I would also consider dismissing someone who hadn't disclosed it when they were asked because I'd wonder what else they'd been dishonest about.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • 07Rogers
    07Rogers Posts: 23 Forumite
    As you may or not be aware but the law previous stated if you were asked about convictions on a application form or was asked I had to declare it, the application form did not state this and was not asked if I did during interview so I had the right not to say anything and hence was sacked for not closing a conviction.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    07Rogers wrote: »
    As someone how has a criminal record and been on the receiving end of been in employment for 8 months and got the sack when someone grassed me up to the boss for having a criminal record and was sacked because I didn't declare it in interview it's sucks and I have done my time and you still get punished over it.
    The law changed a few years ago which was a god send because it means my conviction is now spent and don't have to declare it now, if they ran a CRB basic nothing would show but a enhanced CRB will.
    You know nothing about this bloke and could be about to destroy his life by mentioning it to the boss also his past has nothing to do with you and its up to the company to do these checks. Try putting yourself in his shoes and think okay he's made a mistake he's been punished and still getting punished do you think this is fair?
    It is people like this poster that make people hesitate to employ criminals. No contrition expressed for the crime, decided to lie about it at interview, and then blames the person who found them out when they lose their job for the dishonesty.

I used to think that giving people a second chance was a decent default position. Posts like the above remind everyone that it is often a mistake. If someone feels no contrition, and blames those who catch them, then they are not ready for that second chance.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome back, John-K. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business