Agency vs direct application?

If I have been contacted by an agency about a job but the company is also advertising directly on their website - is there any advantage to applying through the agency rather than direct?

By contacted, I mean that they have sent me an unsolicited email or linkedin message. I haven't engaged them to find me a job. I am connected to this person on linkedin and have had messages from them before but wasn't actively looking for a job. I might wish to use the services of this agency in the future too.

Just wondering if the agency's relationship with them helps? The specific message received said that they are the only agency that works with this employer.

Also, perhaps if I don't get the job I might have more luck with another of the agency's clients?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I would apply directly to the company as they are also advertising the job. I would not respond in any way to the agency in respect of that job at this time. If they come back to you again simply state that you have applied direct.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,838 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I would apply directly to the company as they are also advertising the job. I would not respond in any way to the agency in respect of that job at this time. If they come back to you again simply state that you have applied direct.

I see no reason to tell an agency of any application made direct to an employer. (And in fact when they ask where you have made applications recently, never tell them - if they weren't aware of the vacancy before you walked through the door they will if you tell them and then they can try putting a candidate forward.)
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Use both???
  • The company can ignore your application if they wish.

Recruitment consultants are effectively sales consultants so usually tenacious, dog with a bone - of course this is should the job exist, r/a want to be paid where there is a vacancy and so will usually work in your benefit, coupled with client demands.

Sometimes it benefits an employer to have a 'nominated supplier' of a recruitment agency so they can process you on one of these umberella type of schemes = benefit to the employer as one example I can think of. I've also known recruitment agencies being used when employer just wants the option of trying someone out or unclear what it is their really looking for and can have the agency do the dirty work for them when it comes to being let go.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Apply direct.

If you apply through the agency then offering you the job is significantly more expensive for the employer, as they will have to pay agency fees (typically 10% or higher or the starting salary)

That means that given a choice between 2 equally good candidates, an employer is likely to pick the one who comes fee-free, i.e. one who applied direct rather than via an agency.

The only benefit from applying via an agency is if the company has specified that that is their preferred route, which doesn't appear to be the case here.

For you, the benefit of using an agency is to hear about jobs you wouldn't otherwise be aware of.

Don't respond at all to the agency if you are interested in this job, you don't want your name being put forward by them, as they could then claim it is their introduction and seek a fee from the employer.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,838 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Use both???

This is why not . . .:
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Apply direct.

If you apply through the agency then offering you the job is significantly more expensive for the employer, as they will have to pay agency fees (typically 10% or higher or the starting salary)

That means that given a choice between 2 equally good candidates, an employer is likely to pick the one who comes fee-free, i.e. one who applied direct rather than via an agency.

The only benefit from applying via an agency is if the company has specified that that is their preferred route, which doesn't appear to be the case here.

For you, the benefit of using an agency is to hear about jobs you wouldn't otherwise be aware of.

Don't respond at all to the agency if you are interested in this job, you don't want your name being put forward by them, as they could then claim it is their introduction and seek a fee from the employer.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Do not apply directly and through the agency. Even if the employing company picks you via your direct application there could be problems with the agency trying to force payment because of the application put through by them. The easiest way for the employing company to resolve that problem would be to withdraw the job offer or terminate the employment.
  • Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Go direct - this usually offers you the opportunity to present yourself the way you want in a cover letter/email and highlight any relevant experience in addition to your CV.

Also, as above - no fees for the employer. Ignore the agency and don!!!8217;t get back to them so they cannot claim they put you forward.

If you need the agency at a later date, great - they are sales people and won!!!8217;t turn you away because you haven!!!8217;t responded to that role.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Apply direct AND say in your covering letter that you have also been approached by an agency wanting to head-hunt you for the role, but that you prefer to work with the employer direct to keep their costs down. Do not correspond with the agency at all about the role, except to tell them that you have already applied direct to the employer, if they get hold of you.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    This is why not . . .:

Ahhh yes, i forgot about that :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business