Motability

Having recently passed my driving test, I'm going with my husband to look at cars under the Motability scheme next week (my husband receives the higher rate of mobility in his PIP). I was under impression that the mobility component of the PIP covered the cost of the scheme, however I was told by someone today that some cars require a deposit, is this true? If so, does that mean you can't lease a new car without a deposit?

Comments

• emily_jackson
    emily_jackson Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the link, so is it in general the smaller the car the less the cost? Is there a particular car company that provides a wide range to look at, or are they all around the same? We're not looking for a particularly large car
  • Derwent
    Derwent Posts: 571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the link, so is it in general the smaller the car the less the cost? Is there a particular car company that provides a wide range to look at, or are they all around the same? We're not looking for a particularly large car

You can use the Motability search function to identify which cars are on the scheme which suit your needs....

https://www.motability.co.uk/cars-scooters-and-powerchairs/search/
    Its amazing how these banks can't even do simple calculations correctly..............
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    As you say smaller cars usually have smaller depossits but not always.
    Have a look at the lists that are linked above.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    The advanced payments used to change every three months. I'm not sure of that is still the case. Every quarter, there would be a change in some of the APs required.

I currently drive a Skoda Yeti, which is probably bigger than you need, but it suits and had a £95 AP. Other, smaller cars from different dealerships had larger APs and were not as suitable for our needs.

It's worth looking round, having a tesst drive, and asking questions. Generally speaking, once you have the car, you have it for three years, so it's important to get a car that is suitable and that you are comfortable with. If you do need to send your car back before the three years, and that is only allowed in specific circumstances, your AP is refunded pro rata to the time you have had the car.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March 2018 at 9:02PM
    Something that I have always wondered about with Motability cars - what happens if you are reassessed as no longer being eligible for a car ?
    Do they allow you to break a contract half way through it - or do they expect continued payment ?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Something that I have always wondered about with Motability cars - what happens if you are reassessed as no longer being eligible for a car ?
    Do they allow you to break a contract half way through it - or do they expect continued payment ?

You have to hand it back. The money comes direct from DWP to Motability. So once it stops they want the car back. I think you can purchase the car but not 100% sure
  • If a car was handed back early for a valid reason would you still have to pay for the car or would mobility payments be reinstated.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    You mean if the reason isn't that you've lost your benefit entitlement?

You can, with a valid reason, ask them to terminate the contract early. I did, I used Motability for 15 years, but it reached a point where it was no longer the best solution for me, I had a car that I could barely use because of the insurance restrictions and RSA's difficulty in handling anything but their 'standard client'.

I ended my last contract a year into it (they're 3 year contracts) and Motability were absolutely fine about it, and very helpful. Once you return the car the PIP mobility payments are reinstated to you
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If your condition changes and you are no longer able to drive they take the car back, no payments due.
    Do I need it or just want it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport