PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm up and about early (for me) and it is is dry and relatively mild here this morning. A good chance to "air my wheels" and maybe wash the windows:). Or shall I just sneak back to my bed with my book and a cuppa?:rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    Spoke to soon, it started to rain just after I posted......:(

Ordered my son's birthday pressie- you know they are a "proper" grown up when you buy them a lawnmower....:rotfl:
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    It's lovely weather again today. I have the garden doors open!

I had a few crackers with PB and a cup of green tea for breakfast and am going to have a mango and orange smoothie in a minute.

I did my 1 mile walk video just now and I'm feeling very virtuous! I'm going to try to do that everyday from now on.

I'm having HM potato wedges with a huge salad for lunch. I have a jar of pickled cucumbers and I saw that if you sprinkle the pickle juice over the potato wedges it gives it a nice flavour.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had nibbly stuff for lunch
    I like nibbly stuff. Sometimes I fancy it more than a 'real meal'. Going to cook up some beef mince and onions with some spices and have it with taco shells, hummus and olives in front of the teli. They are cheap olives from a jar so will be soaking them in a good olive oil and garlic first. Maybe I'll add some battered onion rings for an extra fattening hit. :T
  • caronc
    Options
    It's lovely weather again today. I have the garden doors open!

I had a few crackers with PB and a cup of green tea for breakfast and am going to have a mango and orange smoothie in a minute.

I did my 1 mile walk video just now and I'm feeling very virtuous! I'm going to try to do that everyday from now on.

I'm having HM potato wedges with a huge salad for lunch. I have a jar of pickled cucumbers and I saw that if you sprinkle the pickle juice over the potato wedges it gives it a nice flavour.

I love pickle juice - celery soaked in some for a couple of days is my favourite:)
    pineapple wrote: »
    I like nibbly stuff. Sometimes I fancy it more than a 'real meal'. Going to cook up some beef mince and onions with some spices and have it with taco shells, hummus and olives in front of the teli. They are cheap olives from a jar so will be soaking them in a good olive oil and garlic first. Maybe I'll add some battered onion rings for an extra fattening hit. :T
    Can I come to yours for dinner?;)

Lunch for me will be an egg mayo & cucumber sandwich, I've not had one for ages but I bought a cucumber to make tzakziki later in the week so no excuse not to :). I suspect some pickles may well make on to the plate as well:). Breakfast was the remaining salmon spread and some dried fruit. Not hugely inspiring but filled a space!
  • pineapple
    Options
    and I've never lost anyone yet. Mind you - I'm probably the only coach steward that's managed to go out with a half full coach and come back again with a full one:rotfl: (people the coach driver spotted in need of a lift en route back again and he'd also sussed me out - that he'd be told to just pick them up too:rotfl:).
    There was a media story years back. The coach driver while chivvying people up to get back on the coach had inadvertently kidnapped someone's gran - whose family were frantically searching for her at the service station. :D
    Closer to home I know of a woman with learning difficulties who was only found to be missing during the night time checks at her residential home. She had been on a coach trip that day and was eventually found still sat on the coach which was parked up at the depot. I understand Social Services bosses weren't impressed :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 February 2018 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Yesterday's dinner was indeed Indian tyle spinach and tomatoes from that cookbook as per plan - which I topped with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast (in lieu of parmesan). Nice - and 2nd helping of that due today.

The tortillas didnt work out - as in remnants were thrown in the bin. I shall get a suitable healthy and oil-free recipe worked out for some sort of flatbread yet:cool:. Not got a lot of option but to keep trying - as there simply aren't any healthy readymade flatbreads in any supermarket or health food shop anywhere in this country (cue for me even checking Waitrose website - thinking "Surely they will have" - but...no...not yet). Not that I've got a Waitrose anywhere near me - and can't say I see one turning up here any time soon - wah!!!

Lunch today was a bit of leftover cooked rice made up into spicy chocolate rice pudding, accompanied with few brazil nuts. Then sourdough bread with smashed avocado and tomato slices.

Farway - I'm trying out lemongrass tea as we speak. I belted a stem of it with a steak hammer/stuck into an infuser herb teapot and threw in a mug of boiled water. Timer has just gone off to tell me it's ready - here goes nuttin' to try it out and see what I think of it...

EDIT; Bit unsure about the tea. Tried drinking it on its own and wasnt too sure. So squeezed some lemon juice into it - then not too bad. Hmm...

EDIT; Two firms for those wanting to buy plastic-free food online:
    https://plasticfreepantry.co.uk
    https://goodfayre.vendecommerce.com

It's either wrapped in alternative ways or in compostable plastic.
  • pineapple
    Options
    I shall get a suitable healthy and oil-free recipe worked out for some sort of flatbread yet:cool:
    I simply used to mix some flour ,water and salt to a pull out/roll out consistency. If I wanted it to be thicker/puffy I used SR flour. Then I would fry OR hold over the gas flame. These days I add a little olive oil to the mix and kneed it a bit. If you like spicy you can add something like cumin seeds or chilli.
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    It was a lovely sunny morning earlier, when I took myself for a little walk around the block at just gone 8am! Bright sun, and just enough warmth to show that spring is on it's way, at last! Barely a soul to be seen and just a couple of cars out and about. Felt like I had the lovely morning to myself!
    Knocked up a beef bolognaise for the slow cooker, which is simmering away nicely and will be ready for when I fancy it at around 5 or 6pm. That'll be lovely with some spaghetti and a bit of cheese later, with probably enough for leftovers for lunch or dinner tomorrow!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I love pickle juice - celery soaked in some for a couple of days is my favourite:)

Now there's another taste to try out. I have celery in, and pickled gherkins, as yet unopened, now I will give that "recipe" a go

MTSM, lemon grass "tea" I wonder if fresh leaves would be tastier? When I heard it on GQT he mentioned growing your own LG and using the leaves. Once it gets slightly warmer I'm going to buy a bit of LG, root it in water, dead easy so they say, and plant it out for the leaves. Never grown it but it will be interesting experiment if nothing else

Another lovely sunny day, crocus out and open in the sunshine

Went into W/rose, mainly to use my money off vouchers, frozen chips had to be bought because L's do not have 1kg bags lately. Luckily one of my vouchers was £1 of frozen veg, chips were down to 95p [900g], so given 5p for taking them away:money:

Splashed out on piccalilli, Baytree, new one on me. Not cheap, but lovely, tried it lunchtime

YS sausage rolls, only the snack size, ideal for nibbling.
    Pack of YS FR pork bangers, used my £1.50 off coupon
    Plus "free paper" Ignored the free coffee. Has to be said sometime W/r can be MS if used wisely

Back in time for lunch, and commenced bread pud assembly
    I used the free sliced white loaf, from T8sco, goodness knows what is in it, BB was 11 Feb, if did not know I would have thought is was fresh today.

B pud now cooked, and waiting for me to sample a lump once it has cooled a bit

Also made the cauli soup, using my YS 50p cauli. I noticed today they are 1.29, my 50p one was fresh & solid as those on sale today

Soup is made, except for blitzing, heating & eating for dinner
    I may make croutons to go with it, or just cubed toast
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback