MSE News: Vodafone unveils free roaming for new contracts

2»

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Well, UK>UK mobiles, Spain>UK mobiles and Switzerland>UK mobiles are back to 3p/minute. I haven't checked other rates yet.

Oops, I hadn't noticed the rate drop again, so thanks for telling me. i checked - 3p to UK from all Toggle countries. Do you know when this happened?
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in trying FreedomPop in Switzerland and Spain (Canaries) but find their website difficult to navigate. The basic international plans exclude calls to Swiss mobiles (and others) and AFAIK calls from outside the UK. The link to purchase a WhatsApp SIM produces this:
    ... This limited time offer has expired. ...

Do you think that FreedomPop could help me? Thanks.

Hmm, sorry, it looks like I've been caught out twice. The global or worldwide SIM doesn't seem to be available here any more, and I don't know whether it may come back.

The ordinary UK SIM doesn't have roaming. However their Free Voice and Text app can still be used for calls and texts over other data, either wifi or with a local SIM, so it is possible to use their calls to some extent.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    redux wrote: »
    i checked - 3p to UK from all Toggle countries. Do you know when this happened?
    Sorry, no. I only check from time to time, usually before I'm about to use the service.

I'm thinking it may be a reaction to the 'free' EU roaming, though with different territories. 3p/minute to mobiles as well as landlines in Toggle countries is not bad. It probably beats most UK PAYG rates, though I haven't kept up to date with those.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Put the URL into the WaybackMachine to browse earlier versions of the page. It may give a rough indication of when things changed.
  • m5rcc
    m5rcc Posts: 1,544
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It's a pity we need to rely on EU regulation to get better value. There was a time when EE/T-Mobile offered unlimited worldwide 3G (at the time the fastest) data for £15/mth.

Surely with technology and economies of scale they can offer the same?
  • Roger1 wrote: »
    Sorry, no. I only check from time to time, usually before I'm about to use the service.

I'm thinking it may be a reaction to the 'free' EU roaming, though with different territories. 3p/minute to mobiles as well as landlines in Toggle countries is not bad. It probably beats most UK PAYG rates, though I haven't kept up to date with those.

Oddly enough, at the moment O2 PAYG, without converting the top up to a bundle, isn't bad. Calls in the EU are free to receive and 4p per min to any EU landline or mobile while roaming.

A friend who spends several months a year in Spain uses an O2 PAYG SIM in a dual SIM phone (Samsung J5 I think), it means we can keep in touch for free while they are in Spain... just call their O2 mobile from our included minutes bundle, it's a win all round.

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport