Visa application costs

2»

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When my daughter and her OH lived in Japan,and had baby no 2, they had to pay for health insurance there, even though they had lived and worked and paid Japanese taxes there for three years before she was born - and had to pay more for her to be registered there, although they also had to pay for her British passport .....and when they came back to the UK, they had to pay for NH treatment because they haven't paid in for the years that they were out of the country - it's the way things are.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    When I got my Kenyan wife to the UK we applied for a 'leave to remain' visa. She had to go to an English learning course and a Citizenship course as part of the conditions. The visa was expensive and as it was about 10 years ago I can't recall how long the process took but when it was provided she could work and be eligible for free healthcare. Plus she could then bring 2 of her kids over and get the same visas for them.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• bamgbost
    bamgbost Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    unfortunately, as the people above has said. its compulsory. No choice over it. Sorry
    365 Day 1p challenge - £371.49 / 667.95
    Emergency Fund   £1000 / £1000 ( will enlarge once debts are cleared)
    DFW - £TBC
  • clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Sicard wrote: »
    When I got my Kenyan wife to the UK we applied for a 'leave to remain' visa. She had to go to an English learning course and a Citizenship course as part of the conditions. The visa was expensive and as it was about 10 years ago I can't recall how long the process took but when it was provided she could work and be eligible for free healthcare. Plus she could then bring 2 of her kids over and get the same visas for them.
    When my American Wife came over she also had to complete English language course and a citizenship test. Sometime the system is stupid, but it's stupid for everyone.

I can't see any reason why your daughter in law should be given an exclusion.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    clint_S wrote: »
    I can't see any reason why your daughter in law should be given an exclusion.

I don't think the OP has said anything about anyone excluding her. Did you mean an exception?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • It's a blatant cash grab. Immigrants are already paying taxes. They may have been doing so for a shorter period of time, but they've also been consuming NHS services for a shorter period of time. On average, immigrants are healthier and place less demand on health services than native populations. So even without the surcharge, immigration is a net benefit in terms of funding for the NHS. The surcharge just adds to it.

That said, so what? The whole point of any health care system - whether a public one like the NHS or an insurance-based one - is to spread the costs. Most people will pay in more than they consume, while a few will consume more than they pay in. Because there's so much chance involved in determining which group any person will be in, most people agree that is better to spread the costs than to risk having to pay cash for treatment after, say, a car crash.

In terms of money spent, I objected much more to the visa fee itself than to the NHS surcharge. The NHS can certainly do with my few hundred pounds. UKVI, on the other hand, is providing me a service - evaluating and certifying my right to be in the country - and doing so for a lot more than it costs. There is no difference in the manpower or infrastructure costs to issue a two-year versus a five-year visa, but there is a price difference.

Anyway, as others have said, there's nothing you can do. Pay the surcharge or don't get a visa.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure