Weight loss

Comments

• andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Until a few years ago, I just used to run, but I found that I was injured about 3 months of the year, I so started to cycle as well, then later I also started hiking. What really surprised me about the hiking was that it was a huge calorie burner, and also I could do it every day (time permitting). I just got back from a run, and the next thing that I am going to do is add weight training sessions to my schedule, I've got a multi gym and dumb bells that I haven't used for a while. I didn't have time before, but I dropped down to working only one day a week in January, as an alternative to early retirement.

My biggest downfall is wine, but I am working on reducing that now, it isn't just the calories, its also the alcoholic units that I need to reduce.

Mine too, I particularly like red wine from the South of France (Rhone, Luberon etc).
    If you want to start a bit of weight training, then training for endurance is probably the way to go, doing three to five sets of 12 to 15 reps of lighter weights. I use 10KG dumbbells, to do bicep curls, and whilst it doesn't sound very heavy, you certainly start to feel the burn around number 10 or 12 of the reps, and the last set is a killer.
    I am also experimenting with going to the gym before work in the morning, having not eaten since 6.30 the previous evening. I did four sessions this week and didn't feel too bad. I have heard that guys lose weight if they eat after exercise and girls lose weight if they eat before (a couple of hours before) exercise.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There are no pills that fix this.

I suggest a new pair of kitchen scales & weigh exactly everything you eat.

Frankly, it's an eyeopener & helps not just count calories but also makes it a lot easier to get back on the wagon if you find you've slipped off.

Once you've shed a few pounds you'll have more voom to take exercise with & that starts a virtuous cycle of exercise because it's fun leading to being able to eat almost anything (within reason!).

Start with a food diary, weights & calories. And all the measurements - waist, arms, belly etc, so you have a clear start point.
    Best of luck!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    You cannot spot reduce fat.

Whilst specific core and abdominal work will increase strength and stability in those areas it will do nothing about the layers of fat covering.

So why are there exercise dvds, books & trainers on TV touting exercises on bums, tums etc?
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    So why are there exercise dvds, books & trainers on TV touting exercises on bums, tums etc?

Because people will pay for something that promises to work even if it doesn't. Like the 'magic' pills and potions that promise almost instant weight loss without changing what they eat.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • fireblade28
    fireblade28 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »

It's false marketing. You also notice they use great looking people who defo didn't get to look like that doing the workout!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Because people will pay for something that promises to work even if it doesn't. Like the 'magic' pills and potions that promise almost instant weight loss without changing what they eat.
    It's false marketing. You also notice they use great looking people who defo didn't get to look like that doing the workout!

Well, I've been doing light exercises with small hand weights and can definitely see a difference in my 'bingo wings'. :p

Because generally people fall for it, and you cannot make much money selling gimmicks by telling the truth. Hence they bend it as much as they can legally get away with.

Like the cheap exercise equipment you see on shopping channels. They employ people will good physiques to demonstrate it. But I think its a pretty sure bet the models never actually use any of that junk.
    Well, I've been doing light exercises with small hand weights and can definitely see a difference in my 'bingo wings'. :p

You can build muscle in specific areas but not lose fat.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Because generally people fall for it, and you cannot make much money selling gimmicks by telling the truth. Hence they bend it as much as they can legally get away with.

Like the cheap exercise equipment you see on shopping channels. They employ people will good physiques to demonstrate it. But I think its a pretty sure bet the models never actually use any of that junk.

So, how do you build a six pack if you "never actually use any of that junk"?
    I used a Bullworker when I was in my twenties (around twenty five years ago), and it certainly worked on building defined muscle groups.
    People do not have good physiques without working at it. Sure, you can be skinny but you won't have any muscle definition.
  • fireblade28
    fireblade28 Posts: 147 Forumite
    andygb wrote: »
    So, how do you build a six pack if you "never actually use any of that junk"?
    I used a Bullworker when I was in my twenties (around twenty five years ago), and it certainly worked on building defined muscle groups.
    People do not have good physiques without working at it. Sure, you can be skinny but you won't have any muscle definition.

You build it using weights so you increase the size of your abs and diet so that you have 10% bf or less so that you can see them. I don't think most people understand what it takes. Most skinny normal people have a body fat of like 20% which is double what you need to see abs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure