Updated Cheap Car Insurance guide - new system

Hi everyone,

This thread is to discuss our

New Cheap Car Insurance system

which has added in some Quality Ratings alongside our traditional price focus, to split up the best buy comparison sites

This is very much a first incarnation, and we want to to improve on this system which looks at the 'softer' features of comparison sites. Please let us know what you think.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This is the continuation of the old Car Insurance discussion, which can be found here.

Thanks.
Former MSE team member

Comments

• rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 3 May 2013 at 4:39PM
    Interesting how MoneySupermarket is recomended as the first one to try when Compare The market generate by far the highest volume of visitors / quotations.

Also interesting how MoneySupermarket scores the same on quality with less 'ticks'.

Anyone would think that MSE was owned by MoneySupermarket....... oh hang on... well I never! :eek:
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Tweak the quote date?

Dont modify the car? Mines £75 cheaper than a standard car.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    Interesting how MoneySupermarket is recomended as the first one to try when Compare The market generate by far the highest volume of visitors / quotations.

Also interesting how MoneySupermarket scores the same on quality with less 'ticks'.

Anyone would think that MSE was owned by MoneySupermarket....... oh hang on... well I never! :eek:

Hi there,

To reassure you, the purchase of MSE was undertaken with a unique contractually-binding Editorial Code - see points 7,8 and 9 here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/editorialcode

On the Car Insurance point, the new order was decided on price, with quality rating as a tie breaker. On the latest month's data we have, Moneysupermarket has performed very well on the price side.

The quality ratings are new, and we invited feedback on how we've done them. The reason why two comparison sites may both score 6/10 but have a different number of ticks is a combination of roundings (ie 5.5/10 to 6.4/10 is all reprensented as 6/10), plus the scores for different ticks are weighted (so, having an Opt-in marketing box doesnt score as many positive marks as having perfect accuracy on quote price.

Hopefully this helps explain

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • shazza71_2
    shazza71_2 Posts: 212 Forumite
    my son has been paying £427 a month for his little 1.2 corsa since September last year. he found a cheaper quote from "only young drivers" that was a lot cheaper.. what a joke. he tried to contact them for 6 hours and could not get through..
    However he phoned go skippy, they answered the phone straight away and gave him as good a quote which will save him over £200 a month now :)
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,447
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    Thanks so much for this - I'm 56 and have just got my renewal from Saga. Used the comparison site and have saved hundreds - and there is a deal on there from Saga, shame they aren't open today but I will phone them tomorrow. It really isn't fair to do internet only, a lot of people are still scared of computers.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • melbell
    melbell Posts: 488 Forumite
    I love how you promote fronting then at the end say "don't front"
  • benners_2k
    benners_2k Posts: 24 Forumite
    I would like to see MSE do a new campaign to force insurance companies to make you opt-in to auto-renewals when you start a policy.

Like most people reading this forum I always do quotes for all my policies every year and 9 times out of 10 I go with someone else. I then have to phone up the old company and sit on the expensive phone line while they try to convince me to stay with them despite them ripping me off. It is so annoying and there is no way i am going to accept a new price off them because they should have offered me that in the first place if they had any respect for me as a customer.

I don't see anyway on the site to suggest campaigns to Martin or whoever runs things these days.
  • jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,823
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    benners_2k wrote: »
    I would like to see MSE do a new campaign to force insurance companies to make you opt-in to auto-renewals when you start a policy.

Like most people reading this forum I always do quotes for all my policies every year and 9 times out of 10 I go with someone else. I then have to phone up the old company and sit on the expensive phone line while they try to convince me to stay with them despite them ripping me off. It is so annoying and there is no way i am going to accept a new price off them because they should have offered me that in the first place if they had any respect for me as a customer.

I don't see anyway on the site to suggest campaigns to Martin or whoever runs things these days.

my insurances have never auto renewed, but i always stress at the time of taking out new policies not to auto renew.
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    melbell wrote: »
    I love how you promote fronting then at the end say "don't front"

Hi - can you point me to the bit where we promote fronting please.

We very clearly say that adding a main driver, who isnt really the main driver, shouldnt be done - and this is the definition of fronting. Adding a second driver is not, so we do recommend giving that a try.

This is explained on Action Fraud, here: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-fronting
    Former MSE team member
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dan, I've just looked at this and one bit caught my eye.

If your insurance allows it, driving someone else's car instead of yours can be a way to cut mileage. Check your policy details carefully to find out if you can.

If you have fully comprehensive insurance then sometimes, not often, it includes 'driving other cars' cover. This provides you with third-party cover whilst reducing your mileage and therefore the cost of your own policy. Check with your insurance provider whether you're covered.

This can't be serious advice - drive someone else's car on a TP basis in order to reduce your own mileage?!? The mileage difference and therefore premium reduction, if any, is likely to be minimal relative to the risk you are exposed to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback