Can I last a day without a TV licence?

Options
jimmymoon
jimmymoon Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 20 April 2018 at 10:42PM in Phones & TV
My licence is due for renewal at the end of April, but having read MSE's article on the matter, it suggests renewing at the start of the month so I'm getting a full month's worth out of the licence. My licence expires on the 30th so in theory I'd be better off renewing on May 1st.

Surely I'd get away with not having a licence for one day, right? Or has anybody done something like this with disastrous results?

And please don't give me any pep talk about avoiding paying altogether. I'm not interested, thank you.

Comments

• nbinblack
    nbinblack Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    You're missing the month of May.
  • jimmymoon
    jimmymoon Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    My bad. Consider it fixed.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So if you keep a licence until a. you are 75 or b. you give up live TV or c. it is abolished how much will you lose by renewing when it expires.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you renew your licence in the last few weeks of April it runs until the 30th of April the next year.

If you get your FIRST licence at a property on the first of the month then you get a full month, after the first licence it is irrelevant.

However, back in 2002 when my father died the house was unoccupied whilst I arranged to buy my brothers half of the house. When I took out MY first licence I later had a letter telling me that TVL had changed the date on my licence backwards 2 months because of an unlicensed period. I don't know if they still do this and I didn't challenge it at the time. I would now.
    Is it really worth the fraction of £12 you save by putting it back part of a month?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,414 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Op, I must be missing something. If your current license expires on the 30th April, renewing it is from the 1st May - you don't pay for the 30th twice, it just gets stacked onto the next year. As bigman says, you pay until the 30th April 2019. Not heard anyone say that you should get your TV license from the beginning of the month - road tax yes, but not TVL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure