Redundancy for terminally ill and subsequent benefits

Hi all

Employer is offering a redundancy following chemo treatment for stage 4 cancer. Occupational health suggested light working conditions but employer is saying can't support that and is happy to offer redundancy.

SSP is probably going to equal the redundancy payment anyway.

Couple of concerns with taking their offer:

1. Will the future benefits be affected due to taking redundancy?
2. How will the pension be affected if redundancy is taken
3. Is redundancy taxable?

Thanks all, mumbling too much but feel free to ask any questions. Would like to attend HR consultation fully armed with facts.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    As I suggested before, this is definitely not a legal redundancy. That starts me wondering why it is being offered. Jobs are made redundant, not people. Maybe the employer is being kind, but my default position would always be to be suspicious until proven otherwise.

I would very strongly suggest that you carefully examine the pension situation. Termination of the contract could invalidate payments that almost certainly will be contained in the terms. Get advice if you need to. For example, in these situations ill health retirement is possible - so why would you wish to swap that for redundancy? Especially for a redundancy that doesn't exist!

How long has the person worked there?
    What is the redundancy payment being offered?
    Do you know the terms of the pension for these situations?

Do not meet with anyone without a witness. And take careful notes. Do not agree to anything at all. Don't even hint at it. And demand everything in a written offer.

Is there a union rep?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport